(Family Features) - What's that warm and wonderful fragrance wafting through the air? Homemade pumpkin pie!
Since 1929, Libby's pumpkin has helped make that sweet ending to the Thanksgiving feast. Whether you use a traditional single crust or create a signature pie crust edging, you'll be proud you made it yourself. Serve your homemade pumpkin pie warm or cold, topped with whipped cream or not. What's your family tradition?
Makes: 1 9-inch (4-cup volume)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold water*
COMBINE flour and salt in medium bowl; cut in vegetable shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with water; blend until mixture holds together.
SHAPE dough into ball; place on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Line pie plate with pastry. Trim around perimeter for 1-inch overhang to fold under and crimp as desired.
NOTE: To make two crusts, double all ingredients, follow procedure above, and divide dough in half. *Add 1 additional tablespoon water as needed
Tips for Delicious Pumpkin Pie
Like the classic recipe on the back of the can says, all it takes is "Mix, Pour and Bake." Here are a few more tips from Libby's, the pumpkin pie experts:
Before you bake. Make the batter ahead, if you wish, but pour it into the pie shell just before baking to keep the crust crisp.
During baking. The baking instructions start with a high oven temperature and then direct you to turn the temperature down part way through baking. Remember this important step which allows the crust time to crisp.
Is it done? Insert a knife near the center of the pie to test for doneness, as the center will still cook after you take the pie out of the oven.
Put a Crimp In It!
Give your homemade pumpkin pie a signature style. Line the bottom of the pie plate with homemade or refrigerated pie dough (before you add the filling) and trim around the perimeter for a 1-inch overhang. Then, create one of these decorative edges:
Homemade Pie Crust Recipe and Video
This quick pastry is a no-fail recipe made easily with ingredients usually found in most kitchens. Be sure to use cold water and keep well-wrapped until ready to use.
Click to Play Video
Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) Nestlé Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
- Whipped cream
- MIX sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl; stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- POUR into pie shell.
- BAKE in preheated 425°F oven 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F; bake 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.
Makes 8 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Note: 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different.
Reviews and Comments: