Mix It Up With Jenny - Sweet Summer's End
Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies
(Family Features) - Hey, moms! Have your kids been getting restless, like mine? I think they're (secretly) ready to get back to the school routine. But not before we celebrate with one more carefree, alfresco family party.
Whatever your family's favorite is - a cool pool party, a farewell-to-summer barbecue or simply sandwiches in the backyard or nearby park - gather your group for an afternoon outdoors. Have the kids help prepare Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies: moist, fudgy brownies studded and topped with dreamy peanut-butter-flavored milk chocolate chips. Indulge in these perfect take-along goodies that are sweet surrender. The perfect ending to any meal, they can be taken with or enjoyed at home (Hint: Mom! These are most welcome in a lunch box!).
In addition to always including an irresistible home-baked dessert, here are some of my essential picnic pointers:
Jenny Harper is Consumer Test Kitchen Project Manager for the Nestlé Test Kitchens and VeryBestBaking.com.
- Picnic baskets can be as elegant as a fitted wicker hamper or as simple as a clean cardboard box.
- Pack a tablecloth with wipe-clean surface and a beach towel, old blankets or a ground cloth.
- Tuck in a plastic bag for cleanup, sturdy plastic (or disposable) dishes, big napkins and salt and pepper shakers.
- Take along a damp washcloth in a plastic bag for wiping hands.
- Pick up deli salads; serve from their takeout containers.
- If you'll be grilling and using a park grill, take along a wire brush for cleaning.
- Be sure to include a Frisbee or other fun stuff for games or water sports.
For more perfectly portable desserts, visit www.VeryBestBaking.com.
Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 2/3 cups (10-ounce package) Nestlé Toll House Swirled Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Morsels, divided
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- COMBINE flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with water. Stir in 1 cup morsels. Spread into prepared pan.
- COMBINE peanut butter and granulated sugar in medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100% power) 30 seconds or until pourable consistency. Stir until smooth.
- DROP mixture by teaspoonfuls over batter in pan. Swirl into brownie batter with back of a spoon. Sprinkle with remaining morsels.
- BAKE 23 to 28 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out still slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
Nutrition Information per serving:
(Makes 2 dozen brownies)
Reviews and Comments: