(Family Features ) - How does a homely gourd become an eerie sentinel for a darkened stoop? With the right tools, an assortment of patterns and a fun-loving spirit, this Halloween you can populate your porch with a whole gallery of eye-catching ghouls!
Pumpkin Masters combines easy carving, family fun and exciting Halloween designs to make jack-o'-lanterns that will thrill everyone who sees them!
Simply Scary, Easily Eerie
To create a fantastic carved pumpkin, first assemble your project necessities: a smooth, basketball-sized pumpkin, a pencil, scissors, tape, a Pumpkin Masters carving kit (including patterns, carving tools, Scraper Scoop and Super Poker) and a battery-operated light or a candle.
Once you've placed your supplies in a large, well-lit workspace, here's the sequence for going from plain old pumpkin to "gee, what a jack-o'-lantern!":
- Draw, then cut out, a six-sided lid for your pumpkin.
- Use the Scraper Scoop to clean out the insides.
- Select a Pumpkin Masters pattern and tape it to the outside of the pumpkin.
- Transfer the pattern using the Super Poker to poke along the pattern lines.
- Remove the pattern and begin to carve dot-to-dot, working from the outer edge of the design.
- When the carving is complete, place the light or candle in the bottom of the pumpkin (and don't forget to take a picture!).
Remember, parents should supervise when children are using tools. Carving is fun, but safety comes first! For more great carving ideas, check out www.pumpkinmasters.com.