Go With Your Gut for Good Health
(Family Features) - Resolving to improve your well-being means listening to your gut. For the 60 to 70 million Americans dealing with digestive health issues*, keeping their gut healthy can be a daunting task.
"Digestive health is critical to feeling our best," said Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, nutritionist for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Pirates and Toronto Blue Jays. "Health professionals agree that the body operates at peak performance when all parts are working properly, including the digestive tract."
As a nutrition professional, Bonci provides counsel to help people live and perform at the top of their game. Maintaining good digestive health helps everyone stay active and feel their best. Bonci offers these tips to practice daily for a smooth road to digestive health:
- Move it: Regular exercise-walking, taking the stairs, dancing, going to the gym, outdoor sports-is essential for good physical and emotional health as well as support for digestive health.
- Choose foods with active cultures and fiber: Foods with probiotic cultures and prebiotic fiber help promote digestive health. Probiotics and prebiotics work to balance the live beneficial cultures in your gut. Try LiveActive Natural Cheese Snacks from Kraft, which contain a live, active probiotic culture; and LiveActive Cottage Cheeses from Breakstone's/Knudsen containing a prebiotic fiber-inulin-which increases your daily fiber intake.
- Chill out: Like exercise, schedule relaxation every day. Being overextended, stressed and taxed is hard on the digestive tract. Whether practicing meditation or simply making a point to not over-schedule, take some "self" time daily.
- Enjoy eating: Slow down and eat mindfully-making every bite count. Chewing food thoroughly and eating more slowly helps aid digestion. Eating mindfully also makes us feel more satisfied before we overeat.
- Divide and conquer: Big meals can be the cause of indigestion, and sluggishness too. So eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day.
So if you've resolved to have a healthy lifestyle this year, be good to your gut. Receive a personalized plan with tips on how you can do good things for your gut daily, and get more information about good digestive health by visiting LiveActiveFoods.com.
*Adams PF, Hendershot GE, Marano MA. Current estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 1996. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat. 1999;10(200).
Reviews and Comments: