(Family Features) - With fall schedules kicking into high gear, it's time to pencil in one more event: Family Night. We instinctively know what a lot of research is now confirming - that the family that dines together is healthy in many ways: Kids do better at school, family members communicate, the family enjoys priceless bonding time and everyone eats more healthfully.
One more bonus: families that declare at least one night of the week as "family night" have more fun, to boot!
Share kitchen time together. The kitchen is warm, the pace relaxed and the conversation easy. Preparing meals together lets you steal a bit more time with your family. After dinner, plan a simple group activity.
- Dinner should be as simple as putting something on the grill, or a pizza in the oven, and tossing a healthful salad. Let the kids make the dressing and toss the salad.
- Look for ease and convenience in fresh foods when creating appealing dinner menus: Quick-cooking, small cuts of meat or fish; pre-cut fresh veggies from the produce section, fresh and nutritious salad blends ready-to-toss.
- Let everyone weigh in when menu planning - make a list of family favorites that are easy to prepare. Don't forget desserts!
- Keep a list of conversation starters for table talk: If you could be any character in a book, who would it be? Who's your favorite super-hero? If you could live in any other state, which one would it be?
- Every night let one family member select music to accompany dinner (volume is still up to the parents!).
- Play a favorite game after dinner or take a walk around the neighborhood.
Designed for families with nutrition in mind, the new Fresh Express Garden salads have more crunchy carrots and red cabbage added to the fresh base of crisp iceberg lettuce. Harvested up to two weeks earlier than most whole head lettuce, these Garden salads ingredients are harvested at the peak of freshness and they stay fresher longer thanks to the new Stay Fresh Seal(tm) on each bag - just peel and reseal for utmost freshness and use for another meal. In fact, Fresh Express guarantees it. Keep several bags on hand for creating fresh, nutrient-rich salads to accompany easy family meals every night of the week.
Check out family-friendly recipe ideas with contemporary flavors at www.FreshExpress.com.