(Family Features) - Meet a whole grain that's new to America, but already very popular in Asia-sprouted brown rice. Sprouted brown rice has a sweet, nut-like flavor, and light golden color. It's softer in texture and easier to digest than regular brown rice. It's made by soaking brown rice in warm water for at least 24 hours. This process causes a dramatic change inside the brown rice, activating dormant enzymes in the kernel and bringing on the creation of healthful amino acids thought to reduce stress.
"Rich in fiber, lysine, Vitamin E, B vitamins, complex carbohydrates, niacin and many other minerals, it is a great way to eat whole grains," says Annie Chun, founder of Annie Chun's line of Asian convenience products. "Its nutty aroma and rich flavor complement vegetables, fish and meats."
Sprouted brown rice makes it easy to eat whole grains, an important part of a healthy diet. Unlike making your own sprouted brown rice, which could take days, Annie Chun's Sprouted Brown Rice is easy to prepare and needs only one to two minutes in the microwave to be ready to serve.
Tips for using sprouted brown rice
- Make a sprouted brown rice salad with finely diced bell peppers, green onions, fresh basil, sweet corn kernels and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
- It makes a delicious stuffing-style side dish for roasted chicken. Use it in place of dried bread crumbs or cubes with your favorite recipe.
- Use it instead of couscous alongside grilled meats and vegetables.
- For a heartier, healthier soup recipe rich in whole grains, use sprouted brown rice in place of white rice or orzo pasta.
- Make your own sushi at home with sprouted brown rice. Fill with colorful avocado, carrots, and cucumbers for flavor and crunch.
"My family loves fresh fish with a flavorful sauce," says Annie Chun, who is a busy mom herself, with two on-the-go kids, and a thriving business. She recommends this quick, easy, nutrient-packed and stress-free dinner for any busy family.
For more recipes and tips for using sprouted brown rice, visit www.anniechuns.com.