Back-To-School Means Back To Business
Candy Bar Pecan Chippers
(Family Features) - When kids return to school, it's a sure thing that fundraisers for sports teams, choirs, bands and clubs are among the first order of business. Bake sales with tempting homemade goodies still yield big benefits for worthy causes.
Here's a chance to teach kids a little bit of fundraising savvy.
- Lesson one: Offer a product that beats the competition, like Candy Bar Pecan Chippers. A big, happy cookie with bake shop appeal, full of chocolate chips and nuts, studded with pieces of chocolate-peanut candy bars, is an easy sell. Remember, chocolate always adds value!
- Lesson two: Presentation counts. For extra pizzazz, place cookies in treat boxes for easy transporting and instant gift giving. Label each box with the name of the treat or an inspiring message supporting the cause. Selling items by the piece usually yields better profits.
- Lesson three: Give customers the personal touch. Offer free samples - a few cookies broken up into small pieces and put on a plate - to encourage buying. Tell your own story about the club or the cause and why you are involved. At the completion of a sale, everyone profits with a smile and a thank-you.
To order treat boxes, and for more bake-sale ideas, visit www.wilton.com.
Candy Bar Pecan Chippers
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 2 bars (2 ounces each) chocolate and peanut nougat candy bars, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar using electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla extract; mix well. Gradually stir in flour mixture.
- Stir 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of pecans into cookie dough mixture.
- Drop scant 1/4 cup of dough on cookie pan, spacing 2 inches apart. Press down gently on dough using back of spoon. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of pecans over cookies; gently press into tops of cookies. Sprinkle half of candy bar pieces over cookies; press into tops.
- Bake 14-16 minutes or until cookies are almost set and centers are soft. Remove from oven; cool cookies on sheet 5-7 minutes. Transfer cookies to cooling grid; cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookie dough, chocolate chips, pecans and candy bar pieces.
Makes about 12 cookies
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
- Small Treat Boxes
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Cooling Grid
Reviews and Comments: