Get More Get-Up-And-Go
Apple Soy Chai Latte
(Family Features) - Do you ever feel like there just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done? While you can't add more time, there are many fast and easy ways to get the most out of every hour.
Registered Dietitian Lisa Dorfman recommends making the most of your day with simple nutrition and activity tips. She suggests snacking on high-quality protein such as whole soy for an easy way to get an energy boost. "Whole soy is nutrient-rich and delivers high-quality whole soy protein, fiber, heart-healthy fats and important vitamins and minerals," she says. "Pair that with a little physical activity and you can really maximize your day."
To make the most of every day, Dorfman suggests these simple tips:
Wake up and re-energize
- Blend six ounces of silken tofu with six ounces of light soy milk, a banana and frozen berries for a fast, delicious, protein-rich breakfast smoothie.
- Wake up with some morning stretches. Stand erect, legs slightly bent, feet forward, and reach with both arms above your head with your hands to the sky. Take a deep breath and release to the right side; reach up again with a deep breath and release to the left. Reach up again and let both arms open up wide to your sides as if to say hello to a bright and wonderful day.
- Fuel up for your day with an Apple Soy Chai Latte, made with four ounces of light vanilla soy milk.
- "For a convenient, portable way to get whole soy," says Dorfman, "read the label and look for foods that are made from whole soy and provide fiber, like a SOYJOY bar."
- Mix blueberries or strawberries into a six-ounce cup of soy yogurt for a protein- and fiber-rich snack.
- Prepare a simple snack of 1/2 cup lightly salted shelled soybeans to curb afternoon cravings.
- Take a break from your desk, chores or classes with a midday yoga break, dance session or calisthenics jam. All you need is 15 minutes of stretching or vigorous movement to regroup and re-energize your body for the second half of the day.
Revitalize in the evening
- Stir fry 1/2 cup firm tofu with chopped ginger, fresh garlic and seasonal vegetables, like butternut squash, Swiss chard or mushrooms.
- Build your upper body and core strength with a quick set of 15 push ups and crunches to empower your upper body and abs for your evening activities.
- Instead of ice cream, pick up a low fat frozen soy dessert for a sweet treat and soy boost all in one.
For more information about SOYJOY, visit www.soyjoy.com.
Apple Soy Chai Latte
- 1 individually wrapped chai tea bag
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup light vanilla soy milk
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick, optional garnish
- In coffee mug, add tea bag and hot water. Steep for 5 to 10 minutes until water turns dark amber. Remove tea bag. Set aside. In small saucepan heat soy milk, apple cider, honey and cinnamon over medium heat, stirring frequently, until frothy (about 10 minutes). Add steeped chai to sauce pan and mix. Serve in a large mug. Garnish with cinnamon stick, if desired.
Makes two 8-ounce servings
Reviews and Comments: