(Family Features) - Super Bowl Sunday isn't just a big day for football - it's a big day for snacking. On this one beloved day, Americans double their average daily snack consumption, according to the Snack Food Association.
So is it possible to enjoy great food and snacks during the game and not blow your resolution to eat healthy? When you reach for a heart-healthy snack such as California pistachios, it really is.
New research from Penn State shows that a daily dose of pistachios - about one to two handfuls - can help lower "bad" cholesterol levels while increasing "good" cholesterol levels - good news for heart health.
Pistachios are a super snack because they are a nutrient dense nut. They offer more than 30 different vitamins and are one of the lowest calorie, lowest fat and highest fiber nuts. They also contain polyphenol antioxidants and lutein, an antioxidant that is needed to maintain eye health.
One little ounce of pistachios is loaded with tasty goodness and offers:
- 49 kernels - the most of any nut. Comparatively, almonds have 23 per ounce, and walnuts, 14.
- 12 percent of daily recommended fiber, which aids your digestive tract, helps manage cholesterol and control blood sugar levels
- 20 percent of the daily recommended value of vitamin B6, essential to human growth and healthy metabolism
- More antioxidants than one cup of green tea (on an ounce per ounce basis)
- More lutein than three medium tangerines or a glass of orange juice
Pistachios are a slow snack - shelling them helps extend the snack experience and improve portion control. Thirty pistachios make a deliciously healthy snack for about 100 calories. And because they contain both protein and fiber, they help satisfy - so you feel fuller, longer.
So enjoy a heart-healthy snack during the big day. Right out of the shell or in a delicious snack mix, pistachios are a super snack for Super Bowl.
For more information on pistachios, visit WonderfulPistachios.com or PistachioHealth.com.