Easy Meals for Moms on the Go
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
Chicken Club Wrap
(Family Features) - If more gets added to your to-do list than gets crossed off, don't be overwhelmed - you are not alone. It's not easy juggling work and school schedules, activities, errands, daily chores and relationships. Some days it seems like the only exercise you get is dashing to the car for another appointment, and you feel lucky to eat at all, much less eat something healthy. Is it possible to find balance in today's hectic world?
Yes - if you put yourself and your family at the top of your list and make small changes that keep mom and those that matter balanced and healthy.
Andrea Metcalf is a nationally recognized family health and fitness expert. For more than 25 years, this mother of three has inspired people from all walks of life to get fit, eat right and feel better by making simple lifestyle changes in their lives. One of the easiest changes can be in our food choices.
"Making the right food choices is the key to good health and weight loss," said Metcalf. That's why she's teamed up with Mission Foods to help people change the way they think about living.
Making small changes add upThose who've had success with diet and exercising say time after time that it's the small changes that add up to reaching your goal.
"Simple changes are vital to success and that's why I like using tortillas during mealtimes," said Metcalf. "Their versatility, portability, variety of healthy choices and great taste make them appealing to folks like me with busy schedules who are looking for easy solutions in the kitchen."
Metcalf recommends Mission Life Balance tortillas because they provide as much calcium as a glass of milk and are an ideal food alternative for those who struggle to meet their daily calcium intake or may be lactose intolerant. She says, "They are also a great source of fiber and are enriched with 23 vitamins and minerals, including life's DHA, a vegetarian source of the omega-3 fatty acid, DHA."
These wrap recipes are a quick and easy way to start making simple changes that have a big impact. In just a few minutes, you can wrap up a delicious meal that will give you the fuel to keep you going throughout a busy day.
For more information on Mission Foods and other Tortilla Plus products, visit MissionMenus.com.
Healthy eating tips from Andrea Metcalf
- Fruits, veggies, fiber and protein are cornerstones to eating better.
- Fruits are high in antioxidants and filling due to their water content.
- Vegetables are also your cancer-fighting foods. Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts and cabbage contain two antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin, that may help decrease prostate and other cancers.
- Getting 25 to 35 grams of fiber each day is recommended for a healthy diet. Mission's Carb Balance Flour and Whole Wheat Tortillas contain up to 21 grams of fiber depending on the size.
- Protein is one of the basic building blocks of the body. Your muscles are built with protein, and protein is important for skin, hair and maintaining your immune system, too.
What's the scoop on DHA?
- The Food and Drug Administration has determined there is supportive scientific evidence that suggests a reduction in coronary heart disease as a result of eating foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Based on recent studies, the American Heart Association has also stated that individuals at risk for coronary heart disease would benefit from the consumption of plant- and marine-derived omega-3 fatty acids.
- A natural vegetarian source of DHA omega-3 fatty acids, life's DHA meets both Kosher and Halal food standards. Because it is not from fish, there is no risk of ocean-borne pollutants, which has become a concern for many Americans.
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- 1 1-ounce package, taco or hot taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing, prepared
- 6 Mission Life Balance Flour Tortillas warmed
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- 3/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Combine taco seasoning, oil and 1/4 cup water to make marinade. Reserve 1/2 cup.
- Place chicken in re-sealable plastic bag and add marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.
- Mash avocado (in mixing bowl) into small chunks and mix with ranch dressing until smooth.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard used marinade.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes per side or until thoroughly cooked. Remove chicken from grill and place on cutting board.
- Slice chicken into thin strips and serve hot alongside warm tortillas. Serve with build your own sides/garnishes of hot sauce, blue cheese, carrots, cilantro and the avocado ranch dressing.
- 4 Mission Life Balance Whole Wheat 8-inch Tortillas, warmed
- 12 slices fully cooked bacon, crispy and chopped small
- 12 eggs, whole
- 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable spray
- In a small bowl; whisk eggs with salt and pepper to evenly combine.
- To make 1 burrito: heat non-stick sauté pan over high heat.
- Spray pan with vegetable spray; add equivalent of 3 whole eggs to pan. Soft scramble eggs, taking approximately 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped bacon (equals 3 strips chopped) and 1 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese to the eggs and stir to combine, melting the cheese.
- Spoon hot egg mixture into center of a warmed tortilla; roll burrito style and serve.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 for remaining 3 tortillas.
Chicken Club Wrap
- 4 Mission Life Balance 8-inch Soft Taco Flour Tortillas
- 4 tablespoons low fat or light mayonnaise
- 8 slices fat free oven roasted deli style chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 large garden tomato, thinly sliced into 8 slices
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded prepared
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced lengthwise into 8 thin strips (save the other 1/2 of the avocado for additional uses)
- 4 strips bacon, fully cooked (microwave to crispy)
- Evenly spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise over each tortilla, covering each tortilla in a thin layer.
- To build 1 wrap: place 2 slices of chicken breast, overlapping each other, on the center of the wrap. Top chicken with 2 slices of tomatoes. Top tomatoes with 2 thin onion rings. Top onions with 1/8 cup lettuce. Top lettuce with 2 slices of avocado. Top avocadoes with 1 strip of bacon to complete the wrap.
- Fold in the left and right sides of the wrap towards the center, leaving a gap in the center. Using both hands, roll the bottom edge of the tortilla (facing you) from the bottom to the top into a burrito shape.
- Slice the wrap in half, on a slight bias (angle) and serve.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 for each of the other 3 wraps and enjoy.
Reviews and Comments: