(Family Features) - There's nothing quite like the aroma of meat sizzling on the grill. The smell drifts through neighborhoods all across the country, making a lot of mouths water in anticipation.
Burgers remain one of the most popular foods to grill. Because they're so common, it's easy to make them the same way over and over again. If your taste buds are suffering from the burger blues, try a little something different:
- Cajun Burger: Ground beef seasoned with Cajun spices and dressed up with jalapeño cheese, chili mayonnaise and pico de gallo sauce.
- Cordon Bleu Burger: Ground beef patty beneath a layer of sliced ham, Swiss cheese and Dijon mustard.
- Cowboy Burger: Beef patty topped with grilled mushrooms, grilled onion, bacon and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Gyro Burger: Hamburger topped with white onions, tomatoes and yogurt cucumber dressing.
- Tex-Mex Burger: Ground beef piled with guacamole, onions and bacon.
In the effort to build a better burger, a growing number of people are turning to organic beef to make their patties. A 2009 study by the American Meat Institute and the Food Marketing Institute showed that 18 percent of shoppers have bought organic and/or natural meats in recent months. The top reasons cited were positive long-term health effects and nutritional value.
The family farmers of Organic Prairie, the same family farmers who produce Organic Valley products, offer organic meats from animals that have been raised humanely, given certified organic feed and have not been given antibiotics or synthetic hormones.
Their recipe for Blue Cheese Red Wine Burgers marinates lean organic ground beef with dry red wine, then tops it off with savory blue cheese. The smell of this burger on the grill will have the neighbors inviting themselves over for dinner.
So when you're tired of the same old burger, beat the burger blues by jazzing it up with some unexpected flavors - your mouth will thank you.
For more mouthwatering recipes, visit organicvalley.coop.