Mix It Up With Jenny - Sunny Summer Soup
Golden Summer Corn Soup
(Family Features) - I grew up in New Jersey - the Garden State - and fresh corn from the local farm stand was always part of our family's Sunday dinner during the summer. I loved it so much that it's a tradition I still keep at my home in Ohio.
As much as we love biting into the crisp sweetness of fresh corn on the cob, there are other delicious ways to enjoy this summer specialty. One way is with a light and refreshing Golden Summer Corn Soup that can be served hot or cold.
The freshness of the corn and its beautiful gold color makes it seem like you're serving sunshine in a bowl.
Here are some tips to help you prep the corn for cooking:
Removing corn silk
- Use a clean, firm bristled toothbrush to brush the silk off.
- Or, use a damp paper towel to rub the silk off.
- Put the flat end of the cob in a large bowl. Using a large, sharp knife, cut down the length of the ear using a sawing motion. Don't cut all the way to the cob - cutting about 2/3 of the kernel off is just fine.
- Then take the flat end of your knife and run it down the length of the ear. This will press out the remaining kernels and some of the delicious corn "milk."
For more refreshing summer recipes, visit www.VeryBestBaking.com.
Jenny Harper is Senior Culinary Specialist for the Nestlé Test Kitchens and VeryBestBaking.com.
Golden Summer Corn Soup
- 1 package (16 ounces) fresh corn with husks removed (4 medium ears)
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) Nestlé Carnation Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk or Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- Light sour cream or crème fraîche (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- CUT kernels from cobs; reserve kernels and cobs. Place evaporated milk and corncobs in large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook for 8 minutes.
- MEANWHILE, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent. Stir in carrot, celery, garlic and reserved corn kernels. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- ADD vegetable mixture, water and thyme in saucepan; cover. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Discard corncobs and thyme. Cool mixture for about 10 minutes.
- POUR soup into blender until it is half full; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour through a medium sieve into clean saucepan (discard contents of sieve). Repeat process with remaining soup. Reheat soup until heated through. Serve topped with swirl of sour cream and chives.
Makes 4 to 5 servings
Reviews and Comments: