Stay Trim with Dairy
(Family Features) - With summer just around the corner, most people are beginning their annual quest to shape up. But trimming down for swimsuit season doesn't have to signal a departure from comfort food. You can have delicious meals and still eat better - just use foods that deliver nutrition and taste, like low-fat dairy.
By incorporating low-fat dairy, not only do you help fulfill the recommended three daily servings of dairy, you cut calories without cutting flavor. Dairy can be used in various dishes or snacks; plus, new product lines, like Weight Watchers cheese, deliver options and great taste. Try these quick tips to create low-calorie versions of your favorite recipes or spice up your menu.
- Creamy Deviled Eggs - For an angelic take on the devilish appetizer, replace some of the egg yolks with a low-fat cream cheese, like Weight Watchers' new 8-ounce variety of reduced-fat cream cheese spread. It contains 40 percent less fat than regular cream cheese, and is perfect for cooking. It will also cut the amount of cholesterol and fat in your meal.
- The B(C)LT sandwich - Cut calories in the classic BLT sandwich by using low-fat cream cheese in place of mayonnaise.
- Orange Cream-Berry Cones - Summer wouldn't be summer without ice cream, but soft serve can derail the most well-intentioned eaters. For a low-fat interpretation of the summer classic, blend fat-free cottage cheese with low-fat cream cheese and sugar; mix with fresh fruit and spoon into a waffle cone.
- Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes - For a taste of Tuscany, simply fill hollowed-out large tomatoes with a mix of ripe olives, yellow bell pepper, zucchini, green onions and a garlic-flavored cheese wedge. The new Weight Watchers Gourmet Cheese Wedges, for example, promote sensible portion control, pack 30 calories per wedge and come in four varieties.
- Swizz Melba Bagels - Try this convenient breakfast option that's perfect for the morning rush. Spread bagel halves with Weight Watchers Original Swiss flavored cheese wedges, then top with raspberry fruit spread and sliced fresh peaches.
- Parmesan Peppercorn Pear Salad - Introduce a little dairy into your salad routine with this unique dish. Stuff fresh pears with Weight Watchers Parmesan Peppercorn flavored cheese wedges and serve on a bed of mixed greens.
Follow these tips to up your low-fat dairy intake. For more great recipes and products that will help you get in shape, visit www.weightwatchers.com.
Reviews and Comments: