Simmer a Seasonal Stew
Salsa Verde Pork and Pasta Stew
(Family Features) - A casual weekend dinner for friends or a game day huddle around the TV all call for a meal that's simple, substantial, easy on the cook, and delicious.
Salsa Verde Pork and Pasta Stew is ready in under an hour since it's made with lean, tender pork tenderloin which doesn't require long simmering. Simply toss pieces of pork with olive oil and smoky chipotle chili powder, then brown. Chopped onion and prepared salsa verde make the speedy sauce; add black beans if you like.
Serving the stew over rotini pasta is a perfect pairing; the savory sauce clings to the pasta spirals, ensuring that every bite is flavor-filled. By using Dreamfields pasta, there are some added nutrition benefits. Made from durum wheat semolina, Dreamfields provides the same taste and texture as traditional pasta, but you get twice the fiber of traditional pasta, plus fewer digestible carbohydrates (only five grams) per serving. This makes it ideal for everyone in the family, especially those who have diabetes or pre-diabetes. Each serving of this stew with pasta has seven grams of dietary fiber and only 13 grams of digestible carbohydrates (compared to 53 grams if traditional pasta was used). By using a lean meat and minimal added fat, there are only seven grams of total fat per serving. It's a win-win combination.
Visit www.DreamfieldsFoods.com for more recipes, serving suggestions and nutrition information.
Salsa Verde Pork and Pasta Stew
- 1 box Dreamfields Rotini
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound), trimmed (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2cups reduced-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/4cups prepared salsa verde
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained, optional
- 6 lime wedges
- Chopped avocado, optional
- Light sour cream, optional
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pan; cover and keep warm.
- In medium bowl, stir together cumin, chili powder and 2 teaspoons oil. Add pork; stir to coat.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add pork. Cook 5 to 7 minutes until browned and cooked through, turning occasionally. (Reduce heat if pork is browning too quickly.) Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Add onion and 2 tablespoons broth to skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat (stirring up any browned bits) about 3 minutes, until onions are crisp-tender. Stir in salsa, remaining broth, and beans, if using. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return pork to skillet. Heat through. Portion pasta into individual serving dishes. Top with stew. Serve with lime wedges. Garnish with avocado, sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition information (1/6 of recipe):
Makes 6 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
*If traditional pasta is used in this recipe there is a total of 53 g carbohydrate. For more information go to www.dreamfieldsfoods.com.
Reviews and Comments: