Simple Rules for Savvy Cooking
Greek Chicken and Rice
(Family Features) - There's nothing that says family cooking quite like a fragrant casserole served straight from the oven. To make sure recipes - like this Greek Chicken and Rice - are cooked with care, the Pyrex® brand has teamed up with Editor-In-Chief of Semi-Homemade Magazine and Food Network star Sandra Lee to offer at-home chefs a few easy rules to uncomplicate your kitchen.
"I'm pleased to work with the Pyrex brand to share these 4 Simple Rules. I've been a fan of Pyrex products for many years - using them in my own kitchen," said Lee. "The 4 Simple Rules are easy to follow and incorporate into your everyday cooking lifestyle."
- Always place hot glass bakeware on a dry, cloth potholder or towel. Never place hot glass bakeware on top of the stove, on a metal trivet, on a damp towel, directly on a counter or in a sink.
- Never put glass bakeware directly on a burner or under a broiler.
- Always allow the oven to fully preheat before placing glass bakeware in the oven.
- Always cover the bottom of the dish with liquid before cooking meat or vegetables.
Visit www.pyrexware.com for savvy cooking tips and more recipes from Sandra Lee.
Greek Chicken and Rice
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 can (14-ounces) petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil, drained
- 1 can (13.75-ounces) artichoke quarters, drained and rinsed
- 1 box (10-ounces) frozen chopped spinach, cooked and well drained
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1 cup frozen onions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 package (4-ounces) crumbled feta with garlic and herbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season chicken breasts with Greek seasoning and garlic salt. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray; add chicken. Cook chicken for 4 to 6 minutes or until browned, turning once. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, uncooked rice, onions, and lemon juice.
- Transfer to a 3-quart (9 x 13) Pyrex baking dish (Note: cover the bottom of the dish with chicken broth before adding rice mixture). Push chicken breasts down into the rice mixture.
- Pour broth over top of chicken; top with olives and sprinkle with feta. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
Reviews and Comments: