(Family Features) Break out the charcoal chimney and brush off the tongs - it's time to fire up the grill and start cooking in the great outdoors. And one of the simplest ways to bring on the flavor is to skewer up some kickin' kabobs.
Get everyone in on the action by letting them build their own customized kabobs. Set out dishes of colorful and zesty ingredients and let the culinary creation begin.
This menu is inspired by the sizzling flavors of your favorite fajitas - and it starts with a great turkey smoked sausage that is full of flavor with 60 percent less fat than beef and pork smoked sausage. Hillshire Farm Turkey Pepper Jack Smoked Sausage Links combine high quality cuts of lean turkey with delicious spicy pepper jack cheese flavoring to give your taste buds a kick.
Here are some other ingredients you can use:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Pineapple and mango chunks
- Red, yellow and green peppers
- White and red onions
- Summer squash
- Hillshire Farm Turkey Polska Kielbasa Smoked Sausage Links
Make some smokin' sides to go along with the main dish:
- Chipotle mayo or salsa for dipping
- Warm tortilla wraps
- Lime and cilantro rice
- Black bean and corn salad
- Grilled pineapple rings brushed with honey
To make the most of your kabob cooking, follow these tips:
- If you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for thirty minutes before threading them.
- Metal skewers should be lightly oiled or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make sure all ingredients are cut into pieces about the same size.
- Marinate ingredients in the refrigerator to avoid food-borne bacteria.
- Think about threading meats and vegetables onto two skewers instead of one. This makes it less likely for the pieces to swing around the skewer and possibly break off.
For more great recipes for the grill and other meal occasions, visit www.gomeat.com.