A Guide to Guilt-Free Summer Eating
Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien Shares Tips and Tricks for Smart Choices
Fluffy Lemon Squares
(Family Features) Warm weather signals the start of summer get-togethers - from picnics to barbecues. Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien, New York Times best-selling author, says you can enjoy weight-conscious choices without sacrificing great taste.
"We all want to look and feel our best when we're wearing less! That's sometimes hard when there are so many tempting foods around," said Lillien. "But you don't have to sacrifice taste when watching what you eat and drink - you just need to make smart choices. For example, Tropicana Trop50 offers the goodness of juice with 50 percent less sugar and calories, and it's still delicious."
Here are more guilt-free tips from Lillien and her recipe for Fluffy Lemon Squares, remade to have 50 percent fewer calories than typical lemon squares.
- Embrace Breakfast - Research shows people who eat breakfast tend to have more nutrient-rich diets in general; make it a habit to kick start your day with a healthy morning meal.
- Swap It Out - Reduce calories while enjoying things you love by switching to low calorie substitutes. Find my top picks at www.hungry-girl.com.
- Fruit, Meet Grill - Fresh fruit with cool grill marks makes me happy. Toss apple, peach, plum or pineapple slices on the grill, or skewer chunks of it - everyone loves food on a stick!
- Rejuvenate with Juice - At 50 calories per 8-ounce glass and no artificial sweeteners, Trop50 squeezes in a full day's supply of vitamin C and is a good source of antioxidant vitamin E. Look for new Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade flavors.
Trop50 celebrates women supporting women to look good and feel fabulous. Enter the "50 Fabulous Wishes" contest and for every entry, Trop50 will donate $10 to Dress for Success Worldwide, up to $50,000. Enter a wish for a chance to win $1,000 to share with a deserving friend. No purchase necessary. Ends 8/31/11. For more details and contest Official Rules, visit www.Trop50.com.
Fluffy Lemon Squares
- 1 1/2 cups high-fiber bran cereal twigs
- 1/4 cup light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated no-calorie sweetener
1 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
1 2/3 cups granulated no-calorie sweetener
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
6 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For crust, grind cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency in blender or food processor. Transfer to medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine butter with 2 tablespoons water; microwave until just melted. Transfer to medium bowl, then add sweetener and mix thoroughly.
- Spray 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Evenly distribute crust mixture with hands or a flat utensil to firmly press and form the crust. Bake for 5 minutes, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and mix well, then pour mixture over the crust in the pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool and cut into nine squares.
Per Serving - 1 square
Reviews and Comments: