(Family Features) When it comes to losing weight and taking care of your body, it's really about a couple of basic principles: eat smart and move more.
Eating smart - and enjoying it - is a lot easier than you think.
When you add fiber and water to your diet, you're able to fill up without overeating. Most fruits and vegetables are naturally low in calories and fat. Many contain lots of water and fiber to give you a feeling of fullness. Combined with an active lifestyle and low-fat diet, eating greater amounts of fruits and vegetables and fewer high-calorie foods at meals can help you control your weight.
A deliciously simple way to fill up without filling out is to bring watermelon into the mix.
Watermelon contains 92 percent water. Every cup packs a gram of fiber for only 46 calories. It's fat free, cholesterol free and has no sodium. It all adds up to the perfect recipe for losing weight and feeling great.
Here are some easy ways to fill up your recipe repertoire with watermelon:
- Spoil your appetite with a slice of watermelon before your meal. Being mostly water, this appetizer will help curb your hunger by satisfying your taste buds.
- Pair watermelon with a protein-rich food, such as shrimp or peanut butter, and you have the perfect combination for weight management.
- Add a slice of juicy watermelon to chicken sandwiches, or try it on a turkey sandwich instead of tomato.
- Top grilled salmon with a watermelon salsa.
- Start a meal with a watermelon soup seasoned with mint, ginger and lemon.
- Satisfy a late-night sweet tooth with watermelon sorbet made from fresh watermelon, lime juice and a touch of sugar or sugar substitute.
For more deliciously healthy recipes, visit www.watermelon.org.