Holiday Entertaining on a Budget
Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce
(Family Features) This busy holiday season, entertaining may be at the top of your to-do list, but costs can stack up quickly, especially when it comes to wine. Believe it or not, you can find award-winning wines at low prices - allowing you to spread holiday cheer without breaking the bank.
"I know what a struggle it is to balance kids, work, family and the holidays - especially while staying on a budget," said Amy Clark, founder of MomAdvice.com and value shopping expert. "This year, don't skip throwing a holiday party. Instead, wow your guests with wines from ALDI. These wallet-friendly wines won't put a cramp in your holiday style or your budget."
Clark shares some of her favorite award-winning wines from ALDI that will make the perfect accompaniments to each of your holiday courses:
- Sovinello Private Collection, Pinot Noir (Italy) - Consists of cherry and strawberry flavors with a hint of chocolate. The unique flavor combined with juicy plum works well with pork, turkey, grilled salmon and firm cheeses.
- Landshut Riesling (Germany) - Aromas of mild lemon butter cream, pistachio nougat and peach jam. Tangy orange zest with a slight mineral finish. This versatile wine compliments a variety of foods, including ham or chicken, and, of course, German-style dishes.
- Walker Napa Valley Red Wine (California) - Flavors of dark cherry, blackberry, raspberry, black pepper and vanilla enhance this blend of Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon, providing the perfect companion for pasta dishes.
- Chaza Moscato (South Africa) - Light body with a sweet taste thanks to its pear, apricot and sweet peach flavors. Its crisp, refreshing finish balances well with spicy dishes, salads and desserts, or just enjoy it on its own.
- Gonfalone Chianti (Italy) - Brilliant ruby color, distinctive bouquet and dry, yet rounded flavor. Compliments roast meats and ripe cheeses.
- Landshut Sweet Red (Germany) - Aromas of spiced cherries and strawberry compote with a fruity, sweet medium body and a light tangy watermelon finish. Pairs especially well with rich desserts.
In October, six wines received medals from the Beverage Testing Institute in the 2011 World Value Wine Competition. Most are priced at $4.99 or less, making it easy to serve high-quality wines for low prices.
If you want to serve your guests an elegant yet affordable appetizer, try this recipe from ALDI for Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce, and serve it with one of the ALDI award-winning wines.
For more information about ALDI, visit www.aldi.us.
Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce
- 1 wheel edenVale Brie Cheese
- 1/2 cup Southern Grove Dried Cranberries
- 1 cup Burlwood Cellars Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup Berryhill Blackberry Fruit Spread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place unwrapped brie on a foil-lined baking sheet. Heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until brie is warmed through and soft to the touch.
- Meanwhile, bring dried cranberries and wine to a boil in a small saucepan. Add fruit spread, reduce heat to medium high and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often. Sauce is ready when liquid has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- To serve, pour over warm brie. Can be eaten alone or spread on crackers.
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kates, ALDI Test Kitchen
Reviews and Comments: