(Family Features) Americans love their pepperoni. In fact, the Italian-American creation has become the most popular pizza topping in the U.S. But when it comes to pepperoni, pizza isn't the only use for the popular ingredient. Americans have found additional methods for incorporating pepperoni into snacks, side dishes and flavorful main dishes as well.
Now, pepperoni lovers have a lower-sodium alternative for all their pizza and snacking needs. Armour has introduced a new lower-sodium pepperoni that uses a breakthrough, all-natural sodium replacer. The new ingredient reduces sodium by 50 percent versus regular pepperoni, offering a flavorful snack or ingredient option with less sodium for consumers who are interested in limiting their sodium intake, while enjoying their favorite foods.
"Pepperoni is a great way to add flavor and variety to holiday dishes," says A.J. Miller, senior brand manager with the John Morrell Food Group. "Our lower-sodium pepperoni offers an alternative for people interested in healthier lifestyles, while giving them the great taste of the pepperoni they love."
The popularity of this ingredient has led to creative recipes. Incorporate this flavorful ingredient in your favorite foods, and try these snack and sandwich ideas your family is sure to love.
- Pepperoni Fun Skewers - Combine your favorite cheeses, olives and grape tomatoes in 2 tablespoons of Italian salad dressing. Then thread folded pepperoni slices onto skewers, alternating with a slice of cheese, an olive and a tomato.
- Pepperoni Artichoke Dip - Add diced pepperoni to your favorite dip recipes, such as spinach and artichoke. Serve with tortilla chips and baby carrots. Additionally, you can even add pepperoni to other dips and spreads, such as hummus.
- Mini Pepperoni Pizzas - Make individual pizzas using English muffins, pizza sauce, your favorite cheeses and pepperoni.
- Grilled Cheese with Pepperoni - Use your favorite cheeses, bread, roasted red pepper and pepperoni to create a gourmet grilled cheese at home.
- Turkey and Pepperoni Sandwich - Add slices of pepperoni to your favorite turkey sandwich. Layer with field greens, light mayonnaise, sliced red bell peppers and olives.
The following recipe is a great party pleasing appetizer just in time for holiday entertaining. For more information about Armour Lower Sodium Pepperoni and recipe ideas please visit www.armourmeats.com.