(Family Features) You may have heard the saying that if you take good care of your body, it will take good care of you. Well, taking care of your body is a lot easier when you can enjoy delicious and healthy fresh fruits, such as blueberries.
Blueberries are considered a superfood by leading nutrition and medical experts, and are a recommended diet staple for health, skin care and longevity. Here are just a few of the benefits of this little blue dynamo:
- A half-cup of blueberries packs plenty of fiber, vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants into only 40 sweet calories.
- Blueberries contain more disease-fighting antioxidants than red wine or green tea.
- Half a cup of blueberries a day may help improve brain function.
- Some scientific evidence suggests that blueberries may be beneficial for the skin. New skin care treatments include blueberry extracts to help revitalize the skin and hasten healing.
- Blueberries provide the same bacteria fighters as cranberries to help guard against urinary tract infections.
You can enjoy fresh blueberries all year thanks to blueberries from Chile, where it's summer during our winter time.
Do your body a favor and treat yourself to something that is as good as it is good for you, like this salad and refreshing smoothie. For more great recipes for blueberries and other fresh fruits from Chile, visit www.chileanfruitonline.com.