Passport to Taste
Peruvian Lomo Saltado
(Family Features) According to a recent national survey conducted by Kelton Research, when reflecting on memorable family moments, nearly half of Latina moms say that the dinner table is where they remember their family gathering most often. But even if loved ones are far from home this year, you won't need a passport to bring the best flavors of the season to your kitchen.
Crisco® has teamed up with Chef Michelle Bernstein to bring traditional and innovative dishes from Latin America to your table. Author and critically-acclaimed restaurant owner, Chef Bernstein is passionate about exploring bold Latin flavors from her own personal Hispanic heritage and beyond.
"Hispanic cuisine is incredibly diverse," says Bernstein. "Savory lomo saltado from Peru. Thick and decadent mole from Mexico. Melt in-your-mouth pupusas from El Salvador. While each of these Latin-inspired dishes is completely different, preparation with the highest quality products from Crisco is the common thread."
Chef Bernstein especially loves the versatility of cooking with different oils. For a variety of needs, Crisco makes the perfect oil to use in all your favorite recipes. Each can help you create delicious, memorable family meals.
This season, try Chef Bernstein's recipe for Peruvian Lomo Saltado - a traditional beef dish that's fast and easy to make. For more of Chef Bernstein's recipes and to find some inspiration for dinner tonight, visit www.CriscoEnEspanol.com and www.Facebook.com/CriscoEnEspanol.
Peruvian Lomo Saltado
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons Crisco Pure Olive Oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 cup minced parsley, divided
- 1/3 cup Crisco Pure Olive Oil
- 6 new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, cut into small wedges
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Cooked rice or corn tortillas
- Mix steak with 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 teaspoons garlic and 1/4 cup parsley. Marinate 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from skillet.
- Cook meat with marinade in same skillet for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until browned. Add tomatoes, red pepper, onion, remaining garlic, bay leaf, thyme, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add potatoes, peas and remaining parsley. Cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove bay leaf. Serve immediately with rice or corn tortillas.
4 to 6 servings
Reviews and Comments: