(Family Features) It's a new year, so why not make it a new you? Put those resolutions into action by making simple changes to help improve your lifestyle. Start with the meal that helps start your day and create a versatile, fulfilling breakfast by adding almonds, in all their forms to your morning meal to help provide you with the energy you need.
Matthew Biancaniello, master mixologist at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel's Library Bar is known for his innovative cocktail creations and use of fresh ingredients. His creativity extends to healthful smoothies that help jump start your morning and your metabolism as well. For an easy smoothie, Biancaniello suggests using almond butter or almond milk for a creamy base with a burst of flavor.
"One of my favorite smoothie recipes uses a combination of both almond butter and milk, along with fresh fruit, juices and seasonings for a unique blend that's sure to get your day going," says Biancaniello. "It takes no time at all to add and blend the ingredients, and the result is a satisfying drink that you can take with you on the go."
Including a handful of almonds in your breakfast is one simple solution that not only packs a powerful nutritional punch, but also helps keep you satisfied throughout the morning. There are all kinds of ways almonds can help boost your breakfast:
- Toss a handful of whole natural almonds and fresh berries into your morning yogurt.
- Look for cereals containing crunchy sliced or slivered almonds.
- Top whole wheat toast with almond butter and sliced bananas, or spread almond butter onto apple slices.
- Use almond milk in your oatmeal, and top with dried or fresh fruit.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds into your breakfast parfait layered with low-fat yogurt and fruit.
- Toss toasted, sliced almonds into scrambled eggs or a veggie omelet for an extra healthy boost.
Try out Biancaniello's delicious The Southside of Morocco Smoothie recipe to help get your day started, and visit www.AlmondBoard.com for more recipes and breakfast ideas.