Slimmed-Down Snacks and Small Plates
Baked Pork Egg Rolls
(Family Features) Whether you're hosting a party or just enjoying some down time with friends, delicious, slimmed-down snacks and small plates made with lean pork are the perfect solution for the health-conscious host.
Chef and registered dietitian, Michelle Dudash explains the benefits of cooking with lean, delicious pork tenderloin. "Ounce for ounce, heart-healthy pork tenderloin is now as lean as a skinless chicken breast. That means you can enjoy serving a dish like Baked Pork Egg Rolls and still stay on track with your diet."
Try serving some of these slimmed down dipping sauces with them:
- Sesame Soy - Mix 6 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2 teaspoons sesame oil and 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar.
- Hot and Sweet - 1 tablespoon Asian mustard, 2 tablespoons horseradish, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sweetener such as honey or agave nectar.
- Honey Apricot - Heat 1 cup honey, 3/4 cup low-sugar apricot preserves and 1/3 cup cold water in a sauce pan over low heat until boiling. Cool before serving.
- Sweet and Sour - Heat 1/2 cup low sugar pineapple preserves, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 2 tablespoons pineapple juice, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons ketchup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon mild paprika over low heat until well blended and slightly thickened.
For more information, including recipes to help you maintain a healthy diet year-round, visit www.PorkBeinspired.com or www.Facebook.com/PorkBeinspired.
Baked Pork Egg Rolls
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cooked pork tenderloin (1 pound), trimmed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place coleslaw mix and green onions in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high until softened, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly.
- Finely chop the tenderloin. Combine tenderloin, coleslaw mixture, cilantro and hoisin sauce in large bowl and toss to mix well.
- Working with 1 egg roll wrapper at a time (keep remaining wrappers covered to prevent drying), place wrapper on a work surface with one corner pointing toward you. Brush edge of wrapper with water. Spoon about 1/4 cup pork tenderloin mixture in the center of wrapper.
- Fold bottom corner of wrapper over filling. Fold in sides and roll up. Don't worry if your first egg roll doesn't look perfect; you'll master the easy technique after rolling a couple.
- Place egg roll seam-side down on plate and cover with damp paper towels to prevent drying. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Arrange egg rolls in a single layer seam-side down in prepared baking pan. Lightly spray egg rolls with cooking spray. Bake until the bottoms are lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Turn egg rolls and bake until tops are lightly browned, about 3 minutes longer. Serve hot or warm.
Reviews and Comments: