(Family Features) If you're looking for ways to make meal times healthier while still keeping your family happy, why not try soyfoods? April is National Soyfoods Month and the perfect time to try these great tasting and great for you foods.
Packed with high quality protein, soyfoods are an excellent option to keep your family energized and satisfied all day long. Besides being delicious, you'll enjoy fewer calories, less saturated fat, and low to no cholesterol.
Luckily, incorporating soyfoods into your daily diet is easy. The Soyfoods Association recommends a simple way to start is to serve soyfoods alongside traditional foods. From snacks like whole soy nutrition bars, soy yogurts, or soymilk smoothies, to great meals like Parmesan mustard soy burgers, tofu hummus wraps, and shelled edamame salads, the options are endless. Have fun experimenting to see which products and recipes work best for your family.
With companies offering discounts all month long, finding delicious soyfoods at affordable prices will be easier than ever before. Get familiar with where soyfoods are stocked in your grocery store and you'll be sure to find a bargain.
- Soymilk: Soymilk comes in two forms; one can be found in the refrigerated section and the shelf-stable soymilk can be found in the health food section, the cereal aisle, or near other shelf-stable beverages.
- Soy Yogurt: Soy yogurt is generally found alongside traditional dairy yogurts and is offered in similar flavors and sizes as well.
- Tofu: Firm, silken-style, sprouted, high protein and baked tofu can be found in the refrigerated meat section, produce section or natural foods section. Shelf-stable silken tofu can be found in the Asian food section or in the natural food aisles.
- Meat Alternatives: Veggie burgers, soy sausage, soy crumbles and edamame can be found in the freezer section. Edamame may also be found in the fresh produce section.
- Whole Soy Nutrition Bars: You can find these protein packed bars in the health and energy bar section of the store.
For easy ways to add soy to your diet, information about National Soyfoods Month, and more delicious recipes to help you step up your family's healthy eating, visit www.soyfoodsmonth.org.
This recipe for a Beef Salad with Ginger Soy Dressing is full of healthy vegetables, edamame and lean, flavorful beef. It's topped with a tangy ginger soy dressing that will make it a family favorite in no time.