Flat Bread with an Up-Beet Bite
Beet Flat Bread
(Family Features) It's no wonder Mediterranean cuisine has taken the culinary scene by storm. Chefs and home cooks alike have fallen for this simple cooking style, with an emphasis on good-for-you foods such as vegetables, nuts, grains, beans and olive oil.
Just a few ingredients, found in any supermarket, make a delicious Mediterranean-inspired flat bread that does double duty as an easy appetizer or light dinner. Pre-made flat breads come in many varieties - from basic pita and tortilla breads to whole grain, herb seasoned and even naan - a leavened, oven-baked flat bread popular in Indian cuisine. Choose your favorite, spread with prepared hummus and top with ready-to-eat jarred pickled beets.
Using high-quality, jarred pickled beets saves time - the peeling and pickling are done for you. Aunt Nellie's beets are picked, pickled and packed at their perfect ripeness, so they retain their farm fresh flavor and high antioxidant profile.
For the ultimate Mediterranean twist, try a sprinkling of crumbled feta and toasted pine nuts, finished with a peppery punch of arugula - or toss on what's at hand to make a combination all your own. To drink, a glass of Pinot Noir plays up the Beet Flat Bread's flavors.
For additional recipes and serving suggestions visit www.auntnellies.com.
Beet Flat Bread
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Aunt Nellie's Sliced Pickled Beets
- 4 pre-baked flat breads (6-inch round or square)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup prepared hummus (plain or seasoned)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 3 cups baby arugula
- Drain beets well; set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Check package directions for baking temperatures and times for flat bread as brands may vary; adjust as necessary. Also, other flat bread shapes may be available. Place flat breads on baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with oil. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Turn flat breads over; brush with oil. Spread each with about 2 tablespoons hummus. Top with beets. Sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until heated through, cheese is soft and flat bread is crisp.
- Cut each flat bread into 4 pieces; top with arugula.
Reviews and Comments: