(Family Features) In today's busy world, snacking is an integral part of the American lifestyle, but adults and kids often gravitate toward less healthy choices. Why? According to a recent study on snacking trends conducted by Symphony IRI Group, more than half of consumers said that they opt for taste over health in their snacking choices. This can lead to overconsumption of high-fat, high-salt processed snacks.
However, 60 percent of consumers also say that they are trying to eat foods that help maintain or improve their health. Unfortunately, those processed foods aren't up to the task. So what's the answer?
Ellie Krieger, M.S., R.D., celebrity chef, best-selling author and TV host, has a solution that appeals to both adults and kids. She's teamed up with California's fresh grape growers to help replace those high-calorie snacks with ones featuring fresh grapes, which are fresh, naturally sweet, healthy and portable.
According to Krieger, "Both adults and kids want snacking options that are quick and easy, but also flavorful and interesting. Any way you dress them up or down, grapes add a sweet sparkle, crunch and color to snacks, and they can double for appetizers when entertaining."
The Original Super Snack
Why are grapes such a "super" snack?
- One serving (3/4 cup) of grapes contains just 90 calories, no fat, no cholesterol and virtually no sodium.
- Grapes are always ripe and ready-to-use: no peeling or seeding required.
- Grapes of every color contain a variety of antioxidants and other polyphenols - natural components in grapes that appear to contribute to a healthy heart.
- Grapes can be enjoyed as a snack, on the go or as an ingredient in a tasty dish.
Ellie's Tips for Strategic Snacking:
- Snack only when truly hungry
- Plan ahead for a healthy snack
- Try to keep snacks under 200 calories
- Eat regular and balanced meals to prevent hunger munching
Enter the "Makeover Your Snacks with Grapes from California" contest to win $5,000.
Is your grape "Super Snack" recipe worth $5,000? There's only one way to find out: visit the Grapes from California Facebook page at www.facebook.com/GrapesFromCalifornia and follow the directions to enter. The judges are looking for easy-to-make concepts that use fresh grapes to "makeover" snacks into delicious, healthy super snacks. You could be the grand prize winner and receive 5 grand in cash for your efforts. Deadline to Enter: Tuesday July 31, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.