A Better Breakfast for Busy Families
Cranberry Orange Muffins
(Family Features) Eating breakfast is a good idea, but for busy families, it can be hard to find a quick and easy option the whole family enjoys.
Here are a few ideas to help get a nutritious and delicious breakfast on the table, even when you're short on time.
- Set the table the night before. Put dishes, silverware and glasses in place, then add non-perishables in the morning. If you'll want coffee, program your coffeemaker and have cups and add-ins in place. Having everything ready gives you more time to enjoy breakfast as a family.
- Make things simple by getting one cereal the whole family will enjoy, such as Post Honey Bunches of Oats. Kids of all ages will love the honey-sweetened taste, and parents will feel good knowing it's a wholesome cereal that provides essential vitamins and minerals with at least 8g whole grain per serving*. With a delicious choice sure to please everyone, have the cereal within easy reach so kids can serve themselves. To help with portion control, divvy up servings into baggies so it's easy for everyone to get the right amount.
- Let everyone customize their breakfast. It doesn't take much time to make a parfait - everyone can layer their favorite yogurt with different fruits and crunchy cereal. Make individual smoothies, or set out various cereal toppings like yogurt, nuts, berries or fruits.
- Keep a stash of wholesome on-the-go breakfasts in case you're running late. Whole fruit, yogurt cups, and these Cranberry Orange Muffins make it easy to grab and go, without missing the most important meal of the day.
For more ways to make your morning and breakfast bunches better, visit www.facebook.com/honeybunchesofoats.
Nutritional information and more delicious recipes are available at www.postfoods.com/recipes.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar and baking powder in large bowl.
- Mix 1 cup cereal and milk in medium bowl; let stand 3 minutes. Add egg, orange peel, orange juice and 2 tablespoons oil; mix well.
- Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.) Gently stir in cranberries.
- Crush remaining 1 cup cereal; mix with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tsp. oil.
- Spoon batter evenly into 16 paper-lined medium muffin cups. Top with cereal mixture.
- Bake 22 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove to wire rack.
Makes 16 servings
Reviews and Comments: