Carrot Cake Swirled Cream Cheese Bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Lemon Extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Mix 1 cup each of flour and sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Add oil, 2 eggs, vanilla extract and carrots; mix well. Spread 1/2 of the batter into greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan. Reserve remaining batter. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese and remaining 1 cup sugar in another large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add milk, remaining 2 tablespoons flour and lemon extract; beat until well blended. Add remaining 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until blended.
- Drop spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture and reserved carrot cake batter, alternately, over carrot cake batter in pan. Cut through several times with knife for marble effect.
- Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Source: McCormick Spice
(Family Features) Transform an ordinary cupcake into something extraordinary with a peek-a-boo filling. These simple cupcakes are an easy addition to any spring celebration. You’ll want to serve every variety of these turned up treats for Easter and beyond.
The best part about this party trick? It’s easy. You’ll be digging this one out of your recipe repertoire for every spring soiree.
Hop to Easter
Who said Easter baskets are just for the kids? Treat your holiday guests to take-home cupcakes served in individual cupcake boxes. They’ll be delighted to find a surprise inside these icing-filled cupcakes.
The Garden Party
Spring into the season and host an outdoor party on the patio or in the garden. Your guests will enjoy the fresh air and the sweetly decorated desserts.
Add Fresh Flavor
Shake things up with a refreshing new twist. Try filling your cupcakes with refreshing lemon meringue, raspberry mousse or peanut butter and jelly cupcake fillings.
No matter how you slice it, fill it or serve it, these cupcakes are a party pleaser that’s guaranteed to impress. Find tasty filling recipes, fresh ideas and easy decorating projects at www.wilton.com.
Carrot Garden Easter Cupcakes
Servings: 1 dozen cupcakes
- Favorite chocolate cake mix or recipe
- Creamy Decorator Icing
- Chocolate Decorator Icing
- Leaf Green Icing Color
- Orange Icing Color
- Crushed chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place Color Wheel baking cups in standard muffin pan.
- Prepare cake mix following package instructions. Bake in prepared muffin pan 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on cooling grid.
- To decorate, tint small amount of creamy decorator icing green; tint remaining orange. Use spatula and chocolate icing to ice tops of cupcakes smooth. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Chill until set, about 15 minutes.
- Use knife to cut out center of cupcakes almost to bottom of cupcake. Use tip 2A and orange icing to fill in center of cupcake and pipe about 1/4 inch above cupcake; pat smooth. Use tip 352 and green icing to pipe pull-out leaf carrot tops.
(Family Features) Preparing an elaborate Easter spread for your family doesn’t have to be an expensive (or exhausting) endeavor. Rethinking familiar dishes and ingredients is an easy way to add a special touch to your meal.
Add a dash of affordable elegance to your Easter brunch with these simple tips from the experts at ALDI:
- For a colorful twist on an Easter classic, try pickling your deviled eggs. Pickling punches up the flavor of these tasty bites and gives your eggs a festive hue.
- Offer dishes that are pretty and practical. Bake pre-cooked angel hair pasta in muffin tins until the tops are crisp. Fill your pasta “nests” with ingredients such as poached eggs, cheese or diced ham, and you have an attractive brunch dish that is portioned just right for each serving.
- Cater to the individual tastes of your guests with a mimosa bar. Set out a table with champagne, a selection of fruit juices and sliced fruits and berries so your guests can mix and match as they wish.
- Chocolate-dipped desserts are easy and always a crowd pleaser. Make better-for-you treats by dipping Easter goodies in smooth, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate for lower sugar content. Or for a sweet treat without too much added sugar, repurpose dark chocolate by melting it for fondue, and serve an assortment of fruits or salty snacks, like pretzels, for guests to dip.
- Explore new ways to enjoy timeless classics. Maple is a terrific addition to sweet and savory snacks, from bacon to cookies and beyond. Give brunch a sweet spin with these Carrot Cake Waffles, which feature a decadent maple cream cheese drizzle. You can find the premium, affordable ingredients to make this crowd-pleasing brunch recipe at ALDI, along with everything else you’ll need to entertain this Easter.
Find more ideas and recipes for an excellent Easter meal at aldi.us.
Carrot Cake Waffles with Maple Cream Cheese Drizzle
Recipe courtesy of Chef Scott, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- 2 cups Baker’s Corner All Purpose Baking Mix
- 3 tablespoons Stonemill Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Baker’s Corner Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Friendly Farms 1 Percent Milk
- 2 tablespoons Carlini Vegetable Oil
- 1 Goldhen Large Egg
- 1/2 cup Southern Grove Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 cup Southern Grove Raisins
- 1 cup grated carrot
- Carlini Butter Cooking Spray
Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- 8 ounces Happy Farms Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Specially Selected 100 Percent Pure Maple Syrup
- To make waffles: Heat waffle iron.
- In large bowl, combine baking mix, cinnamon and brown sugar. Whisk in milk, oil and egg until fully incorporated. Fold in pecans, raisins and carrot.
- Coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Ladle 1/2 cup of batter onto iron for each waffle. Cook 6-8 minutes, or until waffle is golden brown.
- To make cream cheese drizzle: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and syrup until fully incorporated. Drizzle over waffles. Serve immediately.
Tip: Waffles can be placed in a re-sealable bag, frozen up to three months and reheated in toaster.
Easy ideas for award-winning desserts
(Family Features) No matter the season or the reason, no party is complete without dessert. The trick to making the most out of your celebrations is finding ways to trim your kitchen time so you can enjoy the festivities, without sacrificing quality or flavor in your favorite sweet treats.
Many dessert recipes require multiple time-consuming steps, but using canned fruit can help cut down on prep work and provide you and your guests with a refreshing, delicious treat.
Fresh fruits are popular ingredients for desserts, but it can be difficult to know whether you’re choosing a ripe, sweet fruit. For example, pineapples have several potential indicators of ripeness, such as a sweet smell coming from the bottom of the fruit, the rind yielding slightly to pressure or a yellow, golden color rising toward the crown. An alternative such as Dole Canned Pineapple lets you know you’re getting pineapple that is at its sweetest, because the canning process locks in flavor when the fruit is perfectly ripe.
In addition to baked recipes, canned fruit is also well-suited for other desserts, such as fruit salads, baked muffins and breads, or even as a dessert topping. Whether you’re creating a blue ribbon recipe for a local competition – such as one of the most famous award-winning desserts, Pineapple Upside Down Cake – or delivering a delicious dessert to the family table, Dole Canned Fruit is the perfect ingredient.
Find more tips for your next gathering from the expert chefs at Dole Packaged Foods’ test kitchen at dolesunshine.com.
Old-Fashioned Upside Down Cake
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2/3 cup margarine, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) Dole Pineapple Slices
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 1/3 cup margarine. Remove from heat. Add brown sugar and stir until blended.
- Drain pineapple slices; reserve 2 tablespoons syrup. Arrange pineapple slices in sugar mixture. Place cherry in center of each slice.
- Beat remaining 1/3 cup margarine with 1/2 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Blend into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and reserved pineapple syrup.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar to make stiff meringue. Fold into batter. Pour over pineapple in skillet.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes then invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or cold.
Chocolate Mandarin Orange Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 cans (15 ounces) Dole Mandarin Oranges, divided
- 1 box (2 layer) devil’s food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 orange, peel grated (optional)
- 1 package (4-serving size) vanilla flavor instant pudding
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spray two (9-inch) cake pans with cooking spray. Drain mandarin oranges, keeping fruit and syrup reserved separately.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, juice from one can of mandarin oranges, eggs, oil and orange peel; beat 2 minutes.
- Pour cake mix into prepared pans. Layer mandarin oranges from one can over each cake and gently submerge them into cake batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto wire rack; cool completely.
- Pour 1/2 cup reserved juice from second can of oranges in bowl with pudding mix; whisk 2 minutes, or until pudding mix is completely dissolved. Remove 12 orange slices from second can and dry with paper towel; set aside. Fold in whipped topping and remaining mandarin oranges. Spread mandarin frosting on top of first layer of cake and out to edges. Place second layer on top of first layer.
- In small saucepan, heat cream until just beginning to steam, but do not boil. Remove from stove and stir in chocolate. Stir until well-blended. Pour chocolate mixture over cake and garnish with reserved mandarin oranges. Refrigerate half hour before serving.
Fabulous Carrot Cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (20 ounces) Dole Crushed Pineapple, drained
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup Dole Seedless Raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two (9-inch) round pans.
- In large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Fold in crushed pineapple, carrots, raisins and vanilla.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Gradually add to pineapple mixture and fold until well-blended. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 15 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Beat cream cheese with remaining 1/2 cup butter until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth. Frost completely cooled cake. Garnish with additional crushed pineapple and grated carrots, if desired.
Note: Cake can be baked in 13-by-9-inch pan. Bake 50-60 minutes at 350° F. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.