(Family Features) Fresh fruits and veggies are often the flavors of spring, and you can bring them all together by celebrating National Salad Month with a homemade masterpiece.
This Steamboat Willie Green Apple Waldorf Salad, created in honor of Mickey Mouse’s 90th anniversary, is perfect for adopting a diet rich in produce with green apples, pineapple, blueberries, grapes, celery and, of course, salad greens. With all the fresh flavor, including Dole’s 50/50 Salad Blend – a robust and balanced blend of delicate baby greens and lettuces: tender baby spinach, peppery radicchio and invigorating arugula and chard – it’s an ideal recipe to honor National Eat More Fruits and Vegetables Day.
Large salads like this make for a nutritious yet filling meal for the whole family and can be enjoyed nearly any time of day as a lunch, appetizer, snack or even as a main course at the dinner table.
Find more easy-to-make recipes, kid-friendly activities, inspiration for families spending time together at home and more at dole.com/at-home-resources.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Steamboat Willie Green Apple Waldorf Salad
Total time: 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 16 ounces chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped green apple
- 1 cup DOLE® Blueberries
- 1 cup Dole Red Grapes, halved
- 1 cup chopped, fresh Dole Tropical Gold Pineapple
- 1/2 cup Dole Celery, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
- 1 package (5 ounces) Dole 50/50 Salad Blend
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- In medium bowl, stir yogurt and mustard. Stir in chicken, apples, blueberries, grapes, pineapple, celery and mint. Toss to evenly coat.
- Pour salad blend onto serving platter. Arrange chicken mixture on salad blend and sprinkle with pecans or walnuts, if desired.
Tips: Can be served as salad or spooned onto tortillas and rolled up for wraps. Amount of yogurt dressing can be adjusted based on personal preference.
(Family Features) Perfect for a party or simply indulging yourself, these addictive pastry puffs make it hard to stop at one. Easy to assemble with these step-by-step instructions, the ricotta mixture and fresh strawberry compote are dynamic together, and provide a generous touch of sweetness.
For the full video and instructions, plus more dessert recipe ideas, visit culinary.net .
Watch video to see how to make this delicious recipe!
Ricotta Puff Pastries with Strawberry Compote
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup homemade, part-skim or whole milk Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Cut both puff pastry sheets into nine squares. Make slit in corner of each square toward middle of the pastry. Fold corners to other corners to create pinwheel shape. Brush pastry with 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Combine granulated 1/4 cup granulated sugar and ground cinnamon then sprinkle on each puff pastry.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and raised.
- In medium saucepan on medium to high heat, pour in remaining granulated sugar and water. Once sugar is dissolved, pour in fresh strawberries. Bring mixture to boil then simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until strawberries are broken apart and semi-thick sauce is created. Let chill in refrigerator 2 hours. To chill faster, put in freezer 45 minutes.
- In medium bowl, using mixer, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In separate medium bowl, combine ricotta, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until fluffy. Return whipped cream to ricotta mixture and whip for 1-2 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Spoon ricotta cream into the center of each puff pastry pinwheel. Spoon strawberry compote in middle of ricotta mixture.
Recipe adapted from Milk Means More.