(Family Features) Perfect for a party or simply indulging yourself, these addictive pastry puffs make it hard to stop at one. Easy to assemble with these step-by-step instructions, the ricotta mixture and fresh strawberry compote are dynamic together, and provide a generous touch of sweetness.
For the full video and instructions, plus more dessert recipe ideas, visit culinary.net .
Watch video to see how to make this delicious recipe!
Ricotta Puff Pastries with Strawberry Compote
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup homemade, part-skim or whole milk Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Cut both puff pastry sheets into nine squares. Make slit in corner of each square toward middle of the pastry. Fold corners to other corners to create pinwheel shape. Brush pastry with 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Combine granulated 1/4 cup granulated sugar and ground cinnamon then sprinkle on each puff pastry.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and raised.
- In medium saucepan on medium to high heat, pour in remaining granulated sugar and water. Once sugar is dissolved, pour in fresh strawberries. Bring mixture to boil then simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until strawberries are broken apart and semi-thick sauce is created. Let chill in refrigerator 2 hours. To chill faster, put in freezer 45 minutes.
- In medium bowl, using mixer, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In separate medium bowl, combine ricotta, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until fluffy. Return whipped cream to ricotta mixture and whip for 1-2 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Spoon ricotta cream into the center of each puff pastry pinwheel. Spoon strawberry compote in middle of ricotta mixture.
Recipe adapted from Milk Means More.