You don't have to be a pastry chef to make these delicious little beauties. With a hint of lemon, these light and fluffy puffs will be a hit at your next gathering.
Lemon Cream Puffs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once, stirring until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush water over parchment paper. Fill piping bags with pastry dough and pipe circle swirls 3 inches apart.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine beaten egg, sugar, lemon juice and butter. Slowly cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until partially set. Whisk again to make sure ingredients are mixed well.
- In a large bowl, beat whipped cream and sugar until stiff peaks form; fold in lemon mixture.
- Fill pastry bag with lemon filling. Split pastry puffs. Pipe lemon filling onto pastry bottoms, replace pastry tops. Dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.