(Family Features) Mothers are incredible people. This year, make sure you properly thank her for all she has done for you by celebrating her with a day she'll cherish forever.
Here are a few ideas to make this Mother's Day her most memorable yet:
- Plant a Garden Together
Before you shell out big bucks on chocolates and jewelry, consider a greener gift that mom can treasure from her window. Visit your local garden center or nursery and pick some vibrant beauties you know she'll swoon over. Supply the gloves, mom's favorite cocktails and snacks and make an event out of gardening with your favorite lady.
- Create Your Own Card
No matter how old you are, nothing says it better than construction paper, glitter and a little creativity. If she's a grandmother, involve the kids and make it a family craft project. Take a trip to your local hobby store to make sure you have all the goods for this tried-and-true ticket to mom's heart.
- Plan a Beautiful Brunch
Create a colorful, bountiful brunch for mom. Make a checklist of all the necessary ingredients, ensuring you serve all of her favorites! For a fresh twist on brunch, incorporate the sweet summertime goodness of watermelon and other fresh fruit. Impress her with Breakfast Six Layer Trifle, or make her smile with Watermelon Pancake Sandwiches. Design a homemade menu card, and throw in an arrangement of her favorite blooms for a finishing touch.
For additional recipes and brunch ideas, visit www.watermelon.org.
Watermelon's Many Benefits
Just like mom, watermelon is a sweet and wonderful thing. Mom always told you to finish your fruits and vegetables, but did you know that watermelon boasts immunity benefits? Here are some of the perks for eating this juicy treat:
Vitamin A - This vitamin is known to promote eye health, while boosting immunity through the enhancement of white blood cells.
Vitamin B6 - Boosts the immune system by maintaining normal nerve function and forming red blood cells.
Vitamin C - Protects immune system against infections, viruses and harmful free radicals that accelerate aging and other conditions.
Potassium - A two-cup serving of watermelon also contains potassium, an essential mineral that maintains water balance in every cell.
Mother's Day brunch wouldn't be complete without a fabulous serving of fresh fruit. These recipes include the summertime goodness of watermelon for a sweet addition sure to make mom smile.
Breakfast Six Layer Trifle
Serves: 8 to 12
- 3 cups organic fat free vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups low fat natural granola
- 4 cups watermelon, minced
- 3 cups organic fat free peach yogurt
- 2 cups organic crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Spread the vanilla yogurt over bottom of deep glass casserole or trifle dish. Layer remaining ingredients in order listed above in even layers over vanilla yogurt.
Chunky Watermelon Lemonade
Serves: 2 to 3
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup raw sugar (or to taste)
- 2 cups seedless watermelon puree
- 1 fresh lemon, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped seedless watermelon flesh
- In half-gallon pitcher with lid, mix 1 cup of water with sugar until completely dissolved. Stir in rest of water, watermelon puree, sliced lemon, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir to mix well and chill thoroughly. Stir in 2 cups of chopped watermelon before serving.
Watermelon Pancake Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 8 silver dollar size (3 to 4-inch) natural blueberry pancakes homemade or prepared, warm
- 4 slices seedless watermelon, same size as pancakes
- Spread syrup over one side of each pancake. Place slice of watermelon on the syrup brushed side of 4 of the pancakes. Top the watermelon with other 4 pancakes, syrup side down. Serve immediately.
Watermelon Waldorf Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 cups cubed watermelon (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup seedless red grape halves
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Stir together watermelon, celery, and grapes in bowl. Just before serving, stir salt into yogurt for dressing. (Add water to thin, if necessary.) Pour dressing over fruit; stir until coated. Sprinkle with almonds.