(Family Features) Pamper mom on her special day with a wonderful brunch that all the kids can help make.
- Spiced Granola Pancakes include applesauce as a healthy substitution for fat in this recipe.
- Burrito Bites make a simple appetizer that is easy for kids to assemble. No cooking is required!
- Using a store-bought angel food cake makes preparation of this luscious Angel Sherbet Cake simple. It's low in calories and fat and is as pretty as it is delicious.
- Wheat Berry Tuna Salad is a tasty way to enjoy wheat berries. Wheat berries provide the nutritional benefits of the whole grain and are an excellent source of dietary fiber.
- Round out the brunch with favorite salads, side dishes and some fresh fruit. Follow that with lots of love, hugs and kisses!
Please visit the Wheat Foods Council's Web site at www.wheatfoods.org to order this cookbook or to find additional recipes.
Angel Sherbet Cake
Prep time: 30 minutes
Freeze time: at least 1 hour or until hard
Yields: 10 servings
- 1 pint raspberry sherbet
- 1 pint lime sherbet
- 1 Angel Food Cake loaf (store bought, approximately 7 x 3 inches)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream or 12-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Line two bread pans, approximately the same size as the angel food cake, with plastic wrap. Soften sherbet. Scoop lime sherbet into one pan and raspberry sherbet in the other. Spread sherbet with a metal spatula dipped in hot water. Sherbet should be approximately 1/2 inch deep. Refreeze sherbet in pans for at least 1 hour or until hard.
- Trim edges of angel food cake with a serrated knife to even them; cut cake into three lengthwise slices.
- Remove frozen lime and raspberry sherbet from freezer. Alternate layers, cake, sherbet, cake, sherbet and cake. Cut off any oversized sherbet or cake to ensure that cake and sherbet are even on all sides of the cake. Refreeze until solid; can be frozen up to 3 days if wrapped well in plastic wrap.
- Before serving, prepare cake topping by whipping the cream until very thick. Add sugar and lemon juice and whip mixture until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream on cake. Refreeze cake until ready to serve.
- Remove cake from freezer and let soften 5 to 10 minutes. Slice with an electric knife. If desired, place cake slices on pools of strawberry or raspberry sauce and top with a lemon twist and mint leaves.
Wheat Berry Tuna Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 to 90 minutes
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 2 cans Albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Place wheat berries, water and salt in a sauce pan and simmer for 60 to 90 minutes until tender when you bite down on them.
- Drain well and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together with the remaining ingredients. Serve chilled.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 tortilla roll-up
- 4 (9-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter or reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach or torn romaine leaves
- 1 large stalk celery, cut into thin 3- to 4-inch sticks (12 sticks total)
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded or matchstick
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt or low-fat ranch dressing (optional)
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter or reduced-fat cream cheese on each tortilla, leaving 1 inch of clean space at the top edge of each tortilla. Layer spinach leaves on top of peanut butter. Place three celery sticks across the middle on top of the spinach; sprinkle with shredded carrot.
- Keeping the clean edge at the top, roll tortillas up tightly from the bottom, folding in the sides after the first roll. Wrap each burrito tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Remove plastic wrap. Cut each roll into 1/2-inch slices, inserting a toothpick into the burrito before each cut is made.
- Serve with yogurt or ranch dressing.
Spiced Granola Pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yields: 12 servings
Serving size: 1 pancake
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat granola
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, combine milk, applesauce, yogurt, eggs and orange peel. In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.
- Heat nonstick griddle to 350°F. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto hot griddle. Cook each side until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or just until golden brown.