Chocolate War Cake
Yield: 12 slices
Serving size: 1 slice
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch round baking pan, whisk together whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In small bowl or measuring cup, combine water and vinegar.
- Make well in center of flour mixture in pan and pour canola oil and vanilla extract into well. Pour water-vinegar mixture over top of flour and then stir well to blend all ingredients.
- Bake until set and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Place cake on rack to cool in pan. Once cool, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Note: Whole-wheat, all-purpose flour can be substituted for whole-wheat pastry flour.
Nutritional Analysis (per Serving): Calories 180; Fat 7 g; Saturated Fat 0.5 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 200 mg; Carbohydrates 29 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 2 g