(Family Features) Summer means it’s time to heat up the grill. If you’re looking to add some sizzle to your summer grilling menu, shake things up all summer long with the convenience and versatility of fresh pork. From tender ribs to juicy pork loins, chops, roasts and more, the possibilities are endless.
With mouthwatering flavor and no artificial ingredients, Farmer John California Natural Fresh Pork offers a wide variety of convenient, versatile fresh pork cuts that can take your cookout to the next level. Try out these recipes for Triple Threat Burgers or Chipotle Glazed Spare Ribs, which are sure to be crowd-pleasers at your next barbecue.
Find more grilling tips and recipe inspiration at farmerjohn.com.
Triple Threat Burger
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 1/2 hours
- 1 Farmer John Boneless Fresh Pork Shoulder Roast
- 1/4 cup barbecue seasoning blend
- 3/4 cup pale lager beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke
Triple Threat Sauce:
- 1 jar (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup pale lager beer
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 pound Farmer John Ground Pork
- 1 pound 80 percent lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup pale lager beer
- 2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning blend
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 sandwich buns, toasted
- 6 slices Farmer John Bacon, cooked crisp
- 6 dill pickle planks
- To make pulled pork: Rub pork roast with seasoning and place in 4-5-quart slow cooker. Pour beer and liquid smoke around sides. Cover and cook 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- Remove roast from slow cooker with tongs and place in large container. Using tongs or two forks, shred pork and set aside 2 cups. Cover and refrigerate.
- To make sauce: In medium saucepan, combine raspberry jam, barbecue sauce, beer, mustard and chipotle powder; bring to boil over medium-high heat; boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Stir 1/2 cup sauce into reserved pulled pork.
- To make burgers: Heat charcoal or gas grill to medium. Combine ground pork, ground beef, beer and seasoning; form into six (1-inch thick) burger patties. Grill 5 minutes per side until internal temperature reaches 160° F. Top each burger with slice of cheese; let melt.
- Place burgers on bottom buns; spoon about 1/3 cup pulled pork with barbecue sauce onto each burger. Top each with one slice bacon and one pickle plank then close with top bun.
Chipotle Glazed Spare Ribs
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- 2 racks Farmer John Pork Spareribs, membranes removed
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons pepper
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 cup honey
- brown sugar
- 1/2 can (7 ounces) chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 limes, zest and juice only, plus additional lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat oven to 325° F. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Place on rimmed baking sheet and cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 1/2 hours until ribs reach internal temperature of 195° F. Let cool.
- While ribs bake, blend garlic, honey, brown sugar, chipotle chilies, barbecue sauce and lime zest and juice. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat charcoal or gas grill to medium-high. Place ribs on grill and baste with sauce mixture, turning frequently until well-coated with sauce and charred, about 10 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and let rest. Serve with remaining sauce mixture, additional lime juice and chopped cilantro.
Source: Farmer John