(Family Features) When your friends and family gather around the big screen for the big game, only BIG FLAVOR will do! Earn MVP status with quick and easy Johnsonville recipes featuring sausages that are big on flavor when served by themselves, or when they're included in these traditional sports-fan favorites.
Visit www.johnsonville.com for great recipes to flavor up any get-together.
Touchdown Italian Sausage Chili
Prep: 35 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 1 package (19.76 ounces) Johnsonville Italian Sausage Links
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian recipe stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup cream sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Grill Italian sausage according to package directions; cut into half moon slices and set aside. In soup kettle, sauté onion, celery, sweet pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add sausage and remaining ingredients; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
Serving Suggestions: Sprinkle chili with grated Asiago, Romano or Parmesan cheese.
PigTails & Fries
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 to 25 minutes
- 1 package (13.5 to 16 ounces) Johnsonville smoked sausage (Polish, New Orleans, Smoked Turkey, BOLD Beef Hot Links or Beef Franks)
- 1 package (28 ounces) frozen curly french fries
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut sausage links in half lengthwise. Cut each half into three long strips.
- TO FRY: In deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F. Fry french fries in batches for 3 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Place sausage strips in single layer in fryer basket. Fry for about 1 minute or until they curl. Drain on paper towels. Serve with fries.
- TO BAKE: Spread fries in single layer on baking sheet. Bake at 450°F for 17 to 20 minutes, turning once. At the same time, arrange sausage strips in single layer on separate baking sheet. Bake at 450°F for 12 to 14 minutes or until they curl. Serve with fries.
Reuben Brat Hoagie
Prep: 20 minutes
Grill/Bake: 35 minutes
- 1 package (19.76 ounces) Johnsonville Original Bratwurst
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1/3 cup coarse ground mustard
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 12 slices Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
- Grill brats according to directions. When cool, cut into 1/4-inch bias slices. In skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender; set aside. In small bowl, combine salad dressing and mustard. Slice French bread lengthwise and transfer to baking sheet. Spread salad dressing mixture on inside of bread. Layer bottom of bread with six slices of cheese, brats, onions, sauerkraut and remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut hoagie and serve hot.
Serving Suggestions: To grill hoagie, assemble sandwich on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil. Wrap in foil. Grill, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Spicy Sausage Queso
Prep: 25 minutes
- 1 package (16 ounces) Johnsonville All Natural Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 pounds Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Garlic toast
- In skillet, cook and crumble sausage until no longer pink; drain. Place cheese in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 6 minutes or until melted, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, seasonings and sausage. Microwave 2 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with garlic toast.
Serving Suggestions: Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a spicier dish. Serve garlic toast with diced tomatoes and chopped black olives. To serve in a bread bowl, cut off the top of a round loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-inch shell. Cube removed bread. Spoon cheese dip into bread shell. Serve with bread cubes.