(Family Features) For a fresh take on Easter treats, these egg-shaped cookie pops will surprise and delight. Easy and delicious, each one is uniquely decorated -an unexpected, but festive way to say "Happy Easter!"
To begin, a simple butter cookie dough flavored with vanilla and almond extracts is cut into egg shapes with a cookie cutter. Once they're baked and cooled, tint white Candy Melts (or use colored) with favorite Easter colors - pastel, bold, or both - then "dye" the eggs by pouring the melted candy over the cookies.
Now the decorating fun begins. Pipe with melted candy to make spirals and stripes, then attach confetti sprinkles. Other decorating options include brushing with pearl dust for a luminous effect, or sprinkling with colored sugars. You could even write messages on them. After decorating, use a dab of melted candy to attach the "pops" stick to the backs of the cookies.
A decorated flower "pot" is an ideal way to present the pops. Place the pops in the convenient insert that comes with the Flower Pot Kit and add some green curling ribbon for grass. This bouquet of pops can do double-duty as a centerpiece for the table, or as an Easter gift for friends and family when wrapped in clear bags and tied with ribbon.
Visit www.wilton.com for more Easter project ideas, to order supplies including the Pops Flower Pot Kit, or a copy of the new Wilton book, "Pops! Sweets On A Stick!"
Fresh Eggs Cookie Pops
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- White Candy Melts, melted
- Primary, Garden Candy Color Sets
- Yellow, White Pearl Dust
- Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
- Blue, Lavender Colored Sugar
- Jumbo Confetti Sprinkles
- Cookie Treat Sticks
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix until blended. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Stir in flour mixture. Do not chill dough; divide into 2 balls. On floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12 in. in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Dip egg shaped cookie cutter in flour and cut dough; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 6 - 7 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet. Remove from sheet and cool completely on cooling grid.
- Tint melted white candy desired colors. Pour over cooled cookies to cover. Tap to settle; chill until firm.
- Use melted candy in cut parchment or disposable decorating bags to pipe spirals, stripes and attach Confetti Sprinkles. While still wet, sprinkle some shapes with Colored Sugars. Brush set candy decorations with Pearl Dust/vanilla mixture. Attach sticks to back of cookies using melted candy. If desired, place in assembled Pops Flower Pot Kit.
Source: Wilton Products