Makes 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 shot bourbon* (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil in sauté pan over high heat.
- Add butter to pan and brown slightly.
- Add onions to pan and sear for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and salt. Stir well and continue cooking for approximately 10 minutes or until onions are light brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- When onions began to caramelize add bourbon. Continue cooking until all liquid is cooked off and onions are a nice brown color.
*For regular caramelized onions omit bourbon.
Source: Omaha Steaks