(Family Features) With risk factors for heart disease on the rise, it has never been more important to incorporate heart-healthy meals into your family’s diet.
According to recent statistics, heart disease is the leading cause of death among women in the U.S. With this in mind, Campbell Soup Company is on a mission to help women care for their hearts. With a diverse portfolio of foods that balance great taste and nutritional value, Campbell offers nearly 100 options that meet the criteria for the American Heart Association’s® Heart-Check mark.
Caring for your heart starts in the kitchen
Creating balanced meals for the family doesn’t have to be difficult. In addition to offering heart-healthy foods, Campbell works with its culinary staff, nutrition team and trained chefs to create healthy recipes. This recipe for Sante Fe Chicken Saute is a simple, one-skillet dish that combines lean chicken breast, black beans and corn with a spicy picante kick. Or, try this recipe for Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Chowder, which features chicken paired with a flavorful combination of zucchini, corn, potatoes and cream of celery soup. And no one can resist comforting Easy Chicken Shepard’s Pie. For more easy-to-prepare and heart-healthy recipes and for nutrition information, visit www.campbellskitchen.com.
Seven steps towards a healthier heart
A strong heart starts with a healthy diet and lifestyle. According to the American Heart Association, following these seven health and behavior factors can make a huge difference in your heart’s health. For more heart-healthy tips, visit www.heart.org.
- Don’t smoke.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Engage in regular physical activity.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Manage blood pressure.
- Take charge of cholesterol.
- Keep blood sugar, or glucose, at healthy levels.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Healthy Request® Condensed Healthy Request® Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium red potatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 large zucchini, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in soup, milk and water and heat to a boil. Stir in potatoes, zucchini and corn. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken and parsley and cook until mixture is hot and bubbling.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Healthy Request® Condensed Healthy Request® Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup fat free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup shredded 2% milk Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Stir soup and 1/4 cup water in large bowl.
- Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, onion powder and poultry seasoning.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until well browned, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and vegetables to soup mixture and stir to coat.
- Spoon chicken mixture into 2-quart round casserole.
- Microwave remaining water in microwavable bowl on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes or until hot. Add potato flakes and stir until water is absorbed. Stir in milk and remaining black pepper. Loosely cover and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes or until mixture is hot.
- Spread potato mixture over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until chicken mixture is hot and bubbling.
1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 green onions, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Healthy Request® Condensed Healthy Request® Tomato Soup
- 1/2 cup Pace® Picante Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Stir chili powder and cumin in small bowl. Season chicken with chili powder mixture.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 6 minutes or until browned on both sides. Add garlic and onions and cook; stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in soup, picante sauce and water and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add beans and corn. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Cream of Celery Soup (regular or 98% fat free)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento (optional)
- 2 cans (about 6 ounces each) tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- MIX soup, milk, peas, pimiento, tuna and noodles in 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- BAKE at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- STIR. Mix bread crumbs with butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake 5 minutes or until hot.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Cream of Celery Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or 25% Less Sodium)
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces)Campbell's Condensed Cream of Potato Soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked cut-up vegetables*
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 4 cups prepared Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- Stir soups, milk, thyme, black pepper, vegetables and chicken in 3-quart shallow baking dish. Top with stuffing.
- Bake at 400°F 25 minutes or until stuffing is golden brown.
Makes 5 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Use a combination of cut green beans and sliced carrots.