Start the year off right with wholesome, nutritious morning recipes
(Family Features) With each New Year comes new goals and resolutions for the entire family. It’s the perfect time to start fresh and get everyone back on track with healthy nutrition. Starting each day with a nutritious breakfast is one way to do just that, not to mention a healthy habit to maintain throughout the year.
By incorporating simple, wholesome ingredients like milk into a balanced breakfast each morning, you can feel good knowing your family is starting the day on the right foot. With nine essential nutrients, including high-quality protein, calcium and vitamin D, pairing milk with breakfast can help everyone be their best.
Try these seven breakfast recipes paired with milk, one for each day of the week, to fuel all kinds of mornings throughout the New Year. Visit MilkLife.com for additional recipe inspiration.
Add Southwestern flavors to spice up this breakfast sandwich. Scrambled eggs seasoned with cumin, pepper and chili powder are topped with shredded cheese, ham and sliced avocados and placed inside a toasted English muffin for a twist on a classic breakfast favorite.
When you’re in a rush on weekday mornings but still want a wholesome breakfast while on the go, try these protein muffins with peanut butter and jelly. This simple recipe is a kid-friendly way to serve a childhood favorite and start the day with a smile.
While cottage cheese is not a traditional ingredient in pancakes, these pancakes definitely make it work. By combining blended cottage cheese with rolled oats, this dish adds protein and fiber at breakfast without skimping on taste.
How about a modern take on an ancient grain? This breakfast bowl with quinoa is a delicious and nutritious way to start your day. Chai spices combined with brown sugar, vanilla and milk add vibrant flavors sure to excite your taste buds.
This tasty twist on eggs brings a Southwestern flair to breakfast with avocados and turkey sausage piled high on a tortilla to spice up your morning.
This mini quiche recipe makes serving up protein at breakfast a snap. Use a muffin tin to create individual sausage quiches that are perfect for a make-ahead, grab-and-go breakfast.
Lock down your week’s breakfast plan with these savory crepes the entire family will enjoy. Cream cheese with chives mixed in topped with smoked salmon and wrapped inside a warm crepe winds up being a delicious morning jump-start.
Turn your morning breakfast crepes into a delicious and totally satisfying dessert with creamy custard filling and decadent chocolate sauce. See more of our delicious dessert ideas.
Boston Cream Pie Crepes
To make filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Saucepan: milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt over medium heat. Stir until thickens.
- Pour 1/3 of sugar mixture into egg whites and stir, return to saucepan and heat for 1 minute.
- Remove saucepan from heat and pour in vanilla.
- Transfer filling to medium bowl, cover and press plastic wrap to the top of the mixture. Refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- Whip heavy whipping cream till stiff peaks are formed. Fold into the filling mixture.
To make crepe batter:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 tsp butter
- Whisk milk and eggs.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt then add to milk mixture.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Coat pan with butter. Pour about 2 TBS of batter into pan. Lift and move pan around to coat with batter.
- Cook batter until top looks dry then flip and then transfer to plate.
- Spoon or pipe filling down center of crepe and fold over. Drizzle with your favorite chocolate sauce, serve immediately.