A spin on a classic dessert can either make or break an entire meal. This recipe is without a doubt a winner to make your whole family say, "yum."
This Caramel Cheesecake is smooth and fluffy on the inside, but the outside is topped with warm caramel and toasted, chopped pecans for that sweet and savory crunch you’ve been craving. The recipe is rich and full of that sweet cheesecake flavor. Anyone who likes cheesecake is going to devour this spin-off recipe in seconds.
To make the cheesecake, start by assembling the crust that’s made of crushed wafers, sugar and butter formed to the bottom of your cheesecake pan. Line leftover wafers around the perimeter of the pan to create a sturdy side to give the cheesecake some stability and texture.
Set the crust aside and mix filling ingredients until smooth and blended. It’s important to make sure all the elements are perfectly combined so the consistency of your cake is spot on.
Then it’s time to bake and cool on a wire rack for about an hour after it comes out of the oven. Refrigerate the cheesecake overnight so everything is set and the flavors settle a bit.
Lastly, before serving, prepare the toppings. Microwave to heat the caramels with milk and drizzle over the perfectly baked cheesecake. Finally, sprinkle pecans on top.
This dessert is great for any occasion or just a sweet treat after a long day. It’s satisfying and creamy with some crunch – nearly everything you could ask for in a delicious dessert.
The cool cheesecake topped with the warm caramel makes for a blend of silky, satisfactory bliss. This cheesecake does take some planning ahead, but in the end, it’s totally worth it when you see the reactions of those who take a bite.
For more dessert recipes, go to culinary.net.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
- 46 crushed wafers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 16-18 whole vanilla wafers for side of form
- 3 8oz. packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 26 caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- CRUST: Mix crushed wafers and sugar then stir in melted butter. Press wafer mix onto bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- Arrange whole vanilla wafers around sides of pan.
- FILLING: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Next beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add lightly whisked eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour over crust. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake until center is nearly set, 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight, covering when completely cooled.
- TOPPING: In a microwave, melt caramels with milk; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cheesecake; sprinkle with pecans.
NOTE: To freeze cheesecake: Wrap individual portions of cheesecake in plastic wrap and place in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Seal bag and freeze. To use, thaw in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.