Perfectly portable watermelon dishes
(Family Features) A packed schedule often leads to less meals around the table. Between balancing family, friends, work and activities, it can be easy to reach for a pre-packaged snack on-the-go that lacks important vitamins and nutrients.
Instead, when looking for portable, grab-and- go foods, think about a multi-purpose treat like watermelon. Not only can watermelon be diced, sliced, balled or blended, it also provides numerous health benefits. Watermelon contains higher levels of lycopene than any other fresh fruit or vegetable and is a source of vitamins A and C, as well as vitamin B6 and potassium.
Thinking beyond traditional slices, chunks or balls, there are many ways to incorporate watermelon into some of your favorite to-go meals, whether as a side dish or a key ingredient in beverages, salads or wraps. For example, these recipes for Watermelon and Bulgur Wheat Salad and Watermelon Collagen Creamsicle from the National Watermelon Promotion Board can help satisfy your sweet tooth and provide necessary nutrients while tackling the next task on your to-do list.
Find more watermelon recipes perfect for an on-the-go lifestyle at watermelon.org/WatermelonOnTheGo.
Watermelon and Bulgur Wheat Salad
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 2 cups cooked bulgur wheat
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- shaved pecorino romano cheese, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- black pepper
- In large serving bowl, combine watermelon, bulgur wheat, arugula, grape tomatoes and chopped mint.
- To make dressing: In liquid measuring cup, whisk olive oil, vinegar, garlic, honey, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Top with shaved pecorino and season, to taste. Serve immediately.
Watermelon Collagen Creamsicle
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 rounded tablespoons collagen
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- In blender, combine watermelon, collagen and heavy cream; blend. Pour into glass to serve.
Wrap It Up
Wraps are a perfect on-the-go snack and are easily customizable. Get started with one of these varieties from the National Watermelon Promotion Board or create your own combination. Start with a spread to help the fillings stick together. Place toppings in the center of a tortilla and a watermelon spear on top. Roll the tortilla over the watermelon spear to tuck in all ingredients. Fasten with a toothpick, if needed.
Watermelon Sandwich Wraps
- 1 wheat, flour, corn, spinach or sun-dried tomato tortilla
- 2-4 teaspoons chive cream cheese, hummus, guacamole or Greek yogurt
- 5-8 slices turkey, ham, chicken breast, roast beef or pepperoni
- 1 watermelon spear, about 1/2-inch thick, 1-inch wide
- 2-4 teaspoons barbecue sauce, ranch, pesto, Thai peanut sauce, teriyaki, salsa or sweet chili and ginger
- 2-4 slices feta, pepper jack, swiss or mozzarella cheese
- romaine lettuce
- Bibb lettuce
- fresh mint
- shredded carrots
- Brussels sprouts
- cucumber slices
- pine nuts
English Tea Sandwich Wrap: Flour tortilla, chive cream cheese, ham, watermelon, watercress
Greek Wrap: Tortilla, plain Greek yogurt, feta cheese, watermelon, black olives
Latin Watermelon Wrap: Flour tortilla, guacamole, ham, watermelon, pepper jack cheese, cilantro, scallions, jalapenos
Southwest Chicken Wrap: Corn or flour tortilla, guacamole, chicken, watermelon, salsa, bacon ranch dressing, pepper jack cheese, romaine lettuce
Watermelon Caprese Wrap: Flour tortilla, pepperoni, watermelon, pesto, mozzarella cheese, basil
Thai Peanut Chicken Wrap: Corn tortilla, chicken, watermelon, Thai peanut sauce, Bibb lettuce, carrots, cilantro
Southwest Veggie Wrap: Spinach tortilla, guacamole, watermelon, barbecue ranch dressing, swiss cheese, cucumber, cilantro
Mid-Eastern Veggie Wrap: Corn tortilla, Hummus with pine nuts, watermelon, mint, cucumber slices
Ginger Chicken Wrap: Wheat wrap, chicken, watermelon, teriyaki ginger sauce, sweet chili and ginger sauce, Bibb lettuce, Brussels sprouts
Hawaiian Wrap: Spinach wrap, pineapple cream cheese, ham, watermelon, sweet chili and ginger sauce, cilantro