(Family Features) Summer can be jam-packed with camps, family reunions and more, and people can sometimes miss opportunities to enjoy time together. This summer, savor and celebrate those simple yet memorable backyard moments with friends and family that make the season unforgettable.
Soak in the warm weather and try fresh and flavorful recipes al fresco. Dress your table with a bright tablecloth and a full spread of summer barbecue staples and ice-cold drinks. For example, you can reinvent a summer grilling classic with these Hawaiian Ham Skewers, which combine the smokiness of Smithfield Anytime Favorites Ham with the sweetness of fresh pineapple.
As the sun begins to set, invite friends and family for a backyard game night, outdoor movie or bonfire. Gather around the fire and take your s’mores to the next level with Smithfield Hometown Original Bacon for a perfect savory and sweet combination. Wrap your toasted marshmallow with bacon and squish it between melted chocolate and graham crackers for a treat to end a long summer day.
To find more summer entertaining tips and recipes, visit Smithfield.com.
Hawaiian Ham Skewers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced or grated
- 4-6 skewers
- 1 1/2 pounds Smithfield Ham Steaks, cut into 1 1/2-2-inch squares
- 1 large red onion, cut into eight wedges, root end intact
- 2-3 sweet bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-2-inch pieces
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 4 ounces fresh button or crimini mushrooms, halved (optional)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced, for garnish
- To prepare glaze: In small bowl, whisk ketchup, pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger root until combined; reserve, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Skewer ham, onion, bell pepper, pineapple and mushrooms by alternating pieces and brush with about one-third of glaze.
- Grill 8-12 minutes, or until slightly charred and vegetables are cooked as desired, turning as needed. Glaze skewers about halfway through cooking and again before serving. Garnish with green onion.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 4 strips any variety Smithfield Bacon
- 8 marshmallows
- 2 chocolate bars (about 3 ounces), broken into eight pieces
- 8 graham crackers, broken into squares
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- On lightly sprayed, foil-lined, rimmed baking pan, separate strips of bacon; lay flat in single layer and gently stretch each strip 1-2 inches. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until bacon begins to curl and edges just start to crisp, rotating pan halfway through cooking. Remove bacon from pans with spatula while warm, draining briefly on absorbent paper; reserve.
- Cut bacon slices in half crosswise and tightly wrap around marshmallows, securing with skewer or roasting stick. Roast marshmallows over open fire until toasty brown on edges, being careful not to burn or ignite marshmallows.
- Immediately sandwich roasted marshmallows between two graham crackers with piece of chocolate.