Cherry and Chocolate Pinwheels
About 5 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped and well-drained maraschino cherries (about 14 cherries)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa or Hershey's Dutch Processed Cocoa
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until soft dough forms.
- Remove half the dough to medium bowl; blend in chopped cherries and almond extract. Add cocoa and melted butter to remaining dough; blend well. Divide each dough in half. Refrigerate doughs, if necessary, until firm enough to handle. Between 2 pieces of wax paper, roll one portion cherry dough into 8-inch square; repeat procedure with one portion chocolate dough. Remove top sheets of wax paper; invert cherry dough onto chocolate dough. Peel off top sheet of wax paper; use remaining bottom sheet of wax paper as a guide to lift and roll dough into log. Repeat procedure with remaining doughs.
- Wrap both rolls in wax paper or plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 to 5 hours or until firm. Heat oven to 350°F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
Reviews and Comments: