Banana Hazelnut Empanadas
Servings 16 - Serving size - 2 pieces
- 1 large, ripe banana, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 2 refrigerated 9-inch pie crusts or favorite from-scratch pie dough (enough for 2 pie crusts, 9-inches each)
- 2 tablespoons water (for brushing)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream, for serving, optional
- In small bowl, mix banana and hazelnut spread until combined. (It will thicken and become stiff.) Set aside.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out each half to a 14-by- 8-inch rectangle, 1/4-inch thick.
- Using square or round 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 pieces per half.
- Place 1 heaping teaspoon Nutella-banana mixture on each dough cutout. Brush outer perimeter with water and fold dough to make a closed pocket.
- Pinch edges together with fork. Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar. Freeze on parchment paper or foil-lined baking sheets for at least 15 minutes. (The empanadas can be made up to this point and frozen for 3 months.)
- Bake empanadas until golden, about 20 minutes. Serve warm with cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Reviews and Comments: