Catalonian Cod Soup
Makes 4 two-cup servings.
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen Alaska cod fillets
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large pinch saffron or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fat-free chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine or additional 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 4 slices Italian bread cut into bite-size pieces and toasted or 1 1/2 cups croutons
- Cover cod in microwavable dish; cook on medium-low (30% power) about 10 to 15 minutes, just until slightly cooked. Break into 1-inch pieces.
- In food processor or blender, grind nuts and garlic to a paste. In 5- to 6-quart spray-coated stockpot, cook onions in olive oil until lightly golden. Add paste, cod, saffron or turmeric, tomatoes, chicken broth and wine.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until simmering, about 10 minutes. Simmer gently an additional 5 minutes. Mix in parsley and bread; cook 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Reviews and Comments: