Grilled California Tamale
A treat for all palates! A vegetarian delicacy...
Makes 10 tamales
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups spinach washed, coarsely chopped
- 10 ounces goat cheese
- 1 recipe, Maseca tamale dough, (follow package instructions for one batch)
- Corn husks, soaked in warm water 1 hour
- For stuffing - One day before assembling tamales, mix tomatoes, garlic, basil, vinegar and olive oil in small bowl; refrigerate.
- For tamales - Prepare masa; stir in chopped spinach. Lay out 10 corn husks and divide masa into center of each husk. Spread masa about
- 1/4 inch thick. Place dollop of tomato mixture in center of masa. Add 1 ounce goat cheese to center of tomato mixture.
- Roll tamale in torpedo shape and tie both ends with piece of corn husk.
- Place tamales in vegetable steam basket with 1 1/2 inches of water in saucepan, cover; cook over medium heat 55 minutes.Check pan regularly to make sure there is enough water.
- Remove tamales from pan, cool, then place in covered container and store in refrigerator until ready to grill.
Reviews and Comments: