American BBQ Tamale
The smoky BBQ sauce in this recipe will feel right at home this summer!
Makes 10 tamales
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
You may top your tamales with your favorite salsa.
- 1 medium zucchini, ends removed, sliced lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick ribbons
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, quartered
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded, quartered
- 2 fresh ears yellow corn, shucked
- 1 small white onion, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 inch thick
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups good quality smoky BBQ sauce
- 1 recipe, Maseca tamale dough, (follow package instructions for one batch)
- Corn husks, soaked in warm water 1 hour
- For stuffing - Place vegetables in bowl. Add olive oil to coat vegetables; season with salt and black pepper. On heated outdoor grill, place vegetables on hot rack until grill marks appear.
- Grill corn on the cob. Remove vegetables from grill and cool. With sharp serrated knife, slice corn kernels off cob and place in bowl. Coarsely chop zucchini, peppers and onion. Combine all vegetables and mix in BBQ sauce.
- For tamales - Prepare masa. Lay out 10 corn husks and divide masa into center of each husk. Spread masa about 1/4 inch thick. Place dollop of BBQ vegetable mixture in center of masa. Roll tamale in torpedo shape and tie both ends with piece of corn husk.
- Place tamales in vegetable steam basket with 1 1/2 inches of water in saucepan, cover; cook over medium heat 55 minutes. Check pan regularly to make sure there is enough water.
- Remove tamales from pan, cool, then place in covered container and store in refrigerator until ready to grill.
Reviews and Comments: