Savory Breakfast Casserole
- 1 package (16 ounces) Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage, divided
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cubed bread, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, divided (optional)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped, divided (optional)
- 1/2 cup thin-sliced green onions, divided (optional)
- In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well.
- Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9- x 13- x 2- inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. May be assembled ahead, covered and
- refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325°F. Bake uncovered 55 to 60 minutes or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if tops begin to brown too quickly.