- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (14.5 fluid ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 cups (3 medium) peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cubed pasteurized prepared cheese product
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) Nestlé Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- COOK ground beef in large saucepan over medium heat until brown; drain. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and basil; cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until tender. Add broth, potatoes and cooked beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- MELT remaining butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
Reviews and Comments: